Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Oct 2002 11:34:43 -0400
From:         Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@USA.DUPONT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Surging Idle
Comments: To: WOGNACIOUS@AOL.COM

Check your throttle switch(es). Make sure it clicks when just barely moved off of idle (do this with the engine off). By-pass the idle stabilizer and set your idle speed and check your timing. The surging is due to the idle stabilzer working too hard. Either the idle screw (the big flat slotted one) is out of whack or the throttle switch is hanging up. If this doesn't cure it, start looking for vacuum leaks. If you haven't advanced your timing, now is a good time to do it. Go from the stock 5ATDC to at least TDC or 5BTDC. Reset your idle speed (it will want to idle faster as you advance the inital timing.) Idle should be pretty steady without the stabilizer hooked up. Timing should be steady. Once the stabilizer is back on line, the timing will fluctuate a little and maintain the 850 to 900 rpm.

Jay

Paul Rogers <WOGNACIOUS@AOL.COM>@gerry.vanagon.com> on 10/14/2002 11:16:40 AM

Please respond to WOGNACIOUS@AOL.COM