Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Oct 2002 10:32:19 -0600
From:         Gary Shea <shea@GTSDESIGN.COM>
Subject:      Re: "Recorder with warning switch" - what is this? (Solved,
              thank s!)
Comments: To: David Beierl <dbeierl@attglobal.net>

On Today, David Beierl (dbeierl@attglobal.net) wrote:

> At 11:31 AM 10/14/2002, Gary Shea wrote: > >It might be even better than that. My van has the box... but no > >oxygen sensor! It appears they put the bill-me-every-60K box in the > >federal vans as well, presumably a dealer loyalty benefit, since it has > >absolutely no relevance to the owner of a federal van... > > What's a Federal van (US 49-State?) and what year are you talking > about? 1.9l US 49-state/CAL have a sensor that's supposed to be replaced > every 30k miles; at some point they upped the mileage to 60,000 (I believe > with 2.1l) and finally did away with the warrning light entirely -- I don't > know whether the replacement requirement died with the removal of the > warning light. I'm guessing that you're talking about an air-cooled? In > that case it ought to be a warning for EGR service, shouldn't it? I'm very > hazy on the air-cooled engines... > > david > > > -- > David Beierl - Providence, RI > http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ > '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" > '85 GL "Poor Relation"

Yeah, I'm referring to the air-cooled vans. You have a point, maybe there's something that needs to be done periodically to the EGR circuit. I wouldn't know, some PO helpfully destroyed the EGR stuff on my van through the not-particularly-clever strategy of wrenching the linkage out of the throttle valve and leaving it bent beyond repair and hanging in clear view (grrr), leading to yearly 'discussions' with the emission folk.

I had been thinking of the California air-cooled vans, which have an oxygen sensor. The federal (non-California) vans didn't.

Gary