Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Oct 2002 14:02:41 -0700
From:         Doktor Tim <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>
Subject:      Re: Torque Wrench
Comments: To: walt spak <b20swalt@ATTBI.COM>

At 01:12 PM 10/14/2002, you wrote:

>Dok, > >Can you give me an explanation as to why a clicker is not accurate enough. >You mention the long studs, so I assume that some how affects the clicker >wrench. If a clicker wrench is calibrated correctly, why wouldn't it click >at the proper torque? The torque reading on a beam wrench can change just >by moving your head a little.

The other issue is the wet sealant under the head nuts. If you use a torque wrench you will see that the flexing of the bolts is much like a torsion bar. It makes it impossible to get a clicker to repeat torque at consistent turn. You can work the beam wrench more and less near proper torque to pull it down to an accurate repeatable position. Mine also incorporates a a "tale-tell" that follows the indicator pin to show the maximum value obtained.

Despite all than, don't take my word for it. Listen to the engineers who designed it, they say a beam wrench only for this application because you will get false readings with a clicker. Don't do it their way and you may assume whatever risk that entails. Do it their way and reduce risk. Pick one.