Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Oct 2002 20:21:48 -0400
From:         Jeff Strickrott <jstric01@CS.FIU.EDU>
Subject:      Re: testing aux air regualtor?
Comments: To: Rob Wright <wright@APS.ANL.GOV>

Hi Rob:

This procedure I found on a Porsche related web site, which uses the same type of aux air regulator as ours. My aux air regulator had been bypassed by the previous owner with an after market unit (to support AC) and had been left in the engine compartment for 20 years. It had gathered all sort of junk and did not work.

I needed to clean it out and test it to see if it could be used. I am assuming that you tested the electrical resistance of the unit per Bentley's first.

1. I loosened the adjusting screw and manually tried to move the valve (mark where the screw was first).

2. I soaked it in paint thinner, then used some acetone to clean out any remaining gunk.

3. put a light weight oil into the unit and used a small screwdriver to very delicately make sure that I could open the valve and that the spring could close it most of the way.

4. Now we know that we have a valve that should work and we can test. Place the valve in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes. While waiting heat the oven to 200 degrees.

5. After 20 minutes in the freezer the valve should be fully open. Adjust if necessary.

6. Place in the oven. After 11-20 minutes check on the valve. It should now be closed fully. On the engine this happens faster as the aux air valve has an internal heater plus the heat of the engine.

7. Using a hose and a pot holder, suck air in through the valve in the direction of the arrow (on top of the unit). The valve should let no air or a small amount of air through. Mine stopped air in less than a second as the metal sealed against itself.

My valve now works fine. I will see if I can find the Porsche site and post it to the group.

Good luck

--Jeff Strickrott 82 Westy, South Florida