Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Oct 2002 05:29:55 -0700
From:         "Greenamyer, William L" <william.l.greenamyer@BOEING.COM>
Subject:      Engine nut and intake air distributor

Found something interesting over the weekend on my 84GL leaker. Seems that ever since I got the rebuilt engine, I have been getting a small puddle of fluid on top of the engine just under the hole that goes to the clutch housing (big hole about 1.5 inch diameter on top passenger side next to clutch housing). Using a snake light to see down inside things, I found that the back flang on the intake sir distributor was bent up and never attached to the stud that it is supposed to be mounted to. It also appears that there is no nut on this stud. The stud in question appears to be one of the studs that is used for holding the half body parts together. 1) Am I correct in my assumption about this stud? 2) Could this be the problem leading to the small fluid puddle on top of the engine? 3) How would this affect the operation of the fuel injection system? 4) What impact will it have on the engine? Basically the engine has been this way for over 86000 miles. Does seem to be fluid leaking into the clutch housing but that was attributed to something else at the time. Could be related.

William