Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Oct 2002 04:45:37 EDT
From:         Ben T <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Syncro locking differential
Comments: To: SnpKrakPop@aol.com

In a message dated 10/15/02 1:21:34 AM Pacific Daylight Time, SnpKrakPop@AOL.COM writes:

<< Does anyone know approximately how much it would cost to convert a non-locking differential on a 1986 Syncro GL to a locking differential? Can this be done? My previous mechanic in Boulder, Co (Wolfsburg Automotive) stated that it appeared that I may have a locking differential minus the button on the dash.

One more question: Is it possible to have a Syncro with both, front and rear, locking differentials? >>

It is not likely that your Syncro has a locking differential w/o the actuating equipment. If your mechanic is trying to sell you this idea, it may be time to find another mechanic for your Syncro.

Try Daryl at AA Transaxle in Duvall, Washington http://www.aatransaxle.com

or Chris Weddle at Weddle Engineering in Goleta, California at http://www.2weddle.com/

Plan on spending about $1800 for a rebuild on your transaxle as IIRC that is the only way to add the locker. Well, actually just the diff section will need to be disassembled. Plus you have to purchase the locking diff and associated vacuum actuators and dash console etc. Heck, you'd almost be better off buying a complte Syncro with a locking diff already in it. I paid less than $3K on two different occasios for Syncros in very good condition and had good operating lockers. I've got one of my Syncros on ebay now with the top bid soon to end at $4600. All the equipment is working. Get something like that and sell your non-locker. It's the practical way to go. Either that or just droive your Syncro the way it is.

Yes, Syncro were availabel with front and rear lockers. However, it was not a common option. Few came that way. None of the US spec vehicles AFAIK. I have a 1989 16" Syncro Double Cab which came from the factory with lockers front and rear.

BenT <A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/bentbtstr8/myhomepage/index.html">Vanagon Cafe</A>