Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Oct 2002 14:49:19 -0400
From:         Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: bay window vs waterboxer westy (long)
Comments: To: Craig Oda <craig@ODA-INC.NET>

Well, i was waiting for a post like that!!! I think I can answer some of your questions.

I did own a 87 http://www3.sympatico.ca/huotx/west_westfalia.htm and now an 84, I recently bought an 73 (I have friends with 74,75,77 and 79) http://www.letambourin.com/west73.htm (picture of the pre-74 interior, not good at all) and I still have the original heating system, and it's quite fine with me. I also added a Coleman (50$) catalytic heater for those cold nights. My 73 is as quit as my 87GL, bullshit with those who says that the bay is louder. The engine make a sweet noise at 60MPH, same or less noise than my 87GL.

First lets talk about power and engine maintenance!

If in good shape! The FI (fuel injection) 2.0L found in the 76 and later model is more powerful or equal to the 2.1L (power VS weight) the total weight of the vanagon is superior to the bay windows so overall you won't feel much difference between both van/bus even if the bay 2.0L engine is less powerful than the Vanagon 2.1L. The worse combination is the 80-83 air cool 2.0L with the vanagon shape (my opinion!) The 75 can be found with a unique combination of 1800cc and unique FI system, I would sty away from this one (my opinion). The 79 as a similar (or same) head as the vanagon air-cool. The 74 as the 1800cc dual Solex, good engine. The 72/73 have the 1700cc with dual Solex carburetors. Carburetors are simple and not expensive but very hard to adjust properly. The injection system gives a smoother running engine but if this one fail you will have a harder time finding parts and they will be expensive. My opinion, new dual carbs on any bay engine! The maintenance on most air-cooled engine is not much easier than a wasser. What you need to know is that an air-cooled as a cooling system!!! It's air, most bus that I saw lately had very dirty cooling fan, housing and duck, those need to be clean and properly seal, they will get dirty very easily so each year or so a complete cleaning /sealing is needed. But like you said!!! No damn coolant, pump, bleeding and so on. No complicated FI system on most bus. In the late model, hydraulic valve lifter (77 I think) were added (same as the Vanagon), on other models you need to adjust the valve periodically. Timing can also be a pain in the ass (the vanagon as a electronic timing), most owner have change the original distributor for an aftermarket one and this is not always a good thing. Vacuum leak(all kinds) are a well know problem on the bus. Timing need to be monitor often and closely. So to have a good running air-cooled engine you need a combination of: Good Valve adjustment, good compression, good timing and well adjust carburetors. Remember that cold weather will affect you carburetors!!!! An other thing about the air-cooled engine, valve seat popping out!!! This can mostly happen on overheated engine as the valve seat is glued there (sort of speak) A good thing to have on air-cooled is to have multiple gauge to monitor the engine! (head temp, oil temp, oil pressure) I wouls also check the tranny, they are known for the 4th gear popping out.

Exterior: The vanagon sucks, it's ugly, period! (it remind me of the Aries-K car era) The bay is beautiful, but more beautiful are the split, pre-68 bus.

Interior: The vanagon GL as the best interior in the world for a small camper, better than the Eurovan (my opinion). The late (76-79)bay windows have a similar interior, everything on the left side and the passenger seat do pivot. But rarely equipped with the propane stove (it was an option), some are equipped with the 12V/110V fridge. The 74 and 75 have a very similar interior (first year of the left side rear storage space), full equipped with 2 pieces of furniture (one in the back of the passenger side and one in the back of the driver side) but YOU CAN NOT MOVE INSIDE, especially when the lower bed is open. I my opinion they where the best looking years but the less practical one, 74 is also the first year of the full upper bed. The 68-73 have the simplest interior, no stove, only a cooler and sink with an had pump for the water. What I like about the 68-73 is the face-to-face eating position (opposite seat behind the driver side http://www.letambourin.com/westfalia_ben/west73d.jpg ) the louvered windows (each side) of the bay windows are simply amazing. The stupid sink module in the sliding door entrance... is stupid!!! It's in the way. The worse of the 68-73, no upper full bed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just a damn hammock, you must be very drunk to be able to sleep there.

In conclusion, I like both, but for sure, every morning when I pass beside my bay-window I found this one to be so pretty and nice looking, It's fun to drive and it Doesn't overheat in traffic like everyone think, on the contrary it cool down with some RPM. My 87GL vanagon gave me 30k miles of joy and reliability (with proper maintenance) I seen most of Canada and a good part of the states with this one and it had the best interior in the world.

So, my personal choice: A 76-78 full westy with complete interior and a good strong 2.0L carbureted engine in the back, that would be my choice.

Hope that was fun to read even if my English sucks big time!! Best regards, Ben from Montreal http://www3.sympatico.ca/huotx/engine1.htm