Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Oct 2002 20:36:18 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Overheating; I4 Jetta conv; water pump ( a bit long)
Comments: To: "MacLachlan, Bill" <Bill.MacLachlan@CITY.BURNABY.BC.CA>

You've gotta burp the cooling system - there is an air pocket in there. I would also recommend to get the original two tank system back in there as well. Remember, when bleeding the system to rev it up to 2500 rpm and let it sit there. Remove the 13mm bolt from the rad and remove the lid from the tank in the rear. While the motor is revving start pouring coolant into the tank until COOLANT WITH NO FROTH comes out the hole on the rad. Put the bolt back in and keep the motor revving - keep adding coolant until it just starts to come out the coolant tank. Put the cap on and keep it running. At this point there should be a warm to the touch / hot radiator and maybe a few bubbles in the expansion tank. I keep this happening until it gets good and hot and the rad fan switches on and off. Then I see if I can add more coolant to the tank - if so - keep filling - if not - open the bolt on the rad and see if only water and no froth comes out - if it is only water and it won't take any more water in the rear tank then you are almost done. The next part relies on the engine and water cooling to finish the job - this is where the 2nd tank by the licence plate comes in - when the system cool the water contracts and it will start sucking from the 2nd tank - make sure there is coolant to the MAX mark in this. Usually it takes about 2 warm / cold cycles for the syphoning to stop. I know this sounds like a long and drawn out process, but this is how I do it and once it is done the over heating stops. If it doesn't I would suspect a different problem like a bad head gasket.

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3

http://www.fastforward.ca mailto:sales@fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

- Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions - Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and Importation - European Lighting for most Volkswagen models

I'm in the throes of sorting out the cooling system, and some other opinions would be welcome....

A friend ( who knows the vehicle) drove it across town for ten minutes or so Saturday, and it started to overheat. She turned on the heater to get some more cooling going, and pulled over at the earliest chance, parked. Well done I say! But odd. The system was working fine the day before. In downtown traffic too.

I took the van back home next day, found a warm hose to the rad, cold one to the water pump. Replaced the thermostat with one I tested. No change. Hear hiss of air when warm engine is turned off. Noticed water coming from the water pump housing when engine running ( remember this is an I4 1800 jetta motor, with an I4 jetta one hose expansion tank). Pulled the pump and housing apart. Housing has corroded/worn/disintegrated from the inside and there is a pin hole in the housing allowing water out & air in.

Replaced entire waterpump & housing with new one. Top up with water as test. Still hot engine/cold rad. Took out thermostat and ran engine with no thermostat. Hot engine cold rad and cold heater. Pulled rad hoses with engine running.

Got very wet. Ick. Ick Ick Turned engine off.

So there is water going to rad! Pulled radiator. Took to shop. Flow test shows water runs through, but because of the "baffled design" of the rad ( shop guys words) it is difficult to tell how good the rad is. But the suspicion is that radiator is working well enough. Conclusion: one huge vapour lock in the system somewhere........that is completely stopping water from circulating through radiator.

Now, I've replaced the fluid/bled the system in this van before, ( pulled the radiator; changed the expansion bottle; changed the heater core; dealt with leaky expansion tanks) and done it with the non standard expansion tank I'm using, but I have never had a problem like this one....

Oh great and widely experienced list, any suggestions?

Bill M. '82 Jetta powered GL ( in several pieces at the moment)