Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Oct 2002 09:48:43 -0700
From:         dave <dave@SPARKPLUG.COM>
Subject:      0 - 60 (un scientific style)

So I was feeling really jazzed up after my hockey game Sunday night. We lost, but that didn't matter. I got to hit people! No, wait ... I play to have fun. Hmmm... I gotta work on that. Actually, I play in an over 30 co-ed league, where there's more grey hair and ben gay, than testosterone. We have a good time.

Feeling rather worked up after the game, I decided to test my 0 - 60 on a deserted stretch of freeway.

Heart pounding, fingers trembling, back aching (some chick cross checked me!), I came to a complete stop, preparing for my glorious 0 - 60 test.

Vrrrroooom. Vrrrrooooom. "SCRRREEEEEEECHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!" ... or, at least an "Erk" as I jumped off the starting line. Nothing but 2 miles of empty I-5 and no one around.

Man, oh man does my van fly! 0 - 60 in no time. Surely, I'd do it in 15 seconds or so.

I started my percision timer. "One one thousand, Two one thousand..."

RPM's must have been up at 4k in no time, Trees are screaming by! No, wait ... I had had "Screaming Trees" playing in my CD player. Doh.

By the time I hit "Fiifteen one thousand", I was sure I was at 80 mph. Glancing down at the speedo, it read ... 42, 43, 44 ... DOH!!! Must be some kind of mistake. Maybe I haven't floored the gas pedal enough. With what energy I had left ... I squeezed my gas pedal to the floor, all the while chanting .. "Don't cramp up, don't cramp up."

Eventually, it all became some weird dream .... by the time I *finally* hit 60 mph, I had almost forgotten what I was doing. "23 one thousand, 24 ..."

Woo Hoo! I was so happy. Not because I was able to nail 60 mph in 23 secs, but just that I could hit 60 mph, and that I wasn't cramping up!!!

Yesiree. The HMS Beagle was ripping down I-5 now ... or at least trying to look like it could at least do the speed limit

0 - 60, hell yes! 18 seconds? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL..... oooh... ouch, cramp. Stop... laughing too hard ... whew...

It was a fun time. Me, the road, deer passing me as I tried to accelerate. Yup. It was a good night.

dave

p.s.

I can't believe that woman cross checked me. Maybe that had to do with my slow showing.