Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 17 Oct 2002 12:52:38 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Roadhaus - 2.2L Engine Install , Prelimanary Report / Response
Comments: To: Larry Chase <lchase@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

Looking forward to getting some feed back on your trip as it progresses..

John Rodgers 88 GL driver

Larry Chase wrote: > > Volks, > > Thanks to All who responded to this thread and for the thoughtful , > passionate debate. > > Its my belief that the "Light of Day" always flushes out the best > information. > > Lets put those high beams in the dark corners and see what we learn. > > Interestedly ....... only "ONE" person contacted me directly. > > In my original posting I noticed one "TYPO" > > CLIPPING OF ORIGINAL POST >>>> > > Engine Stats: > > Engine: 2.2L 135HP Euro Cars of Denver > Note ... used original core with 160k on it. > Install Completed: 10.13.02 > Output HP: 115hp@4800rpm > Torque: 135 ft lbs. > Displacement: 2220 cc > Stroke: 76.20mm > Bore: 95 mm > Compression: 10 to 1 > > FIRST LINE SHOULD HAVE READ > > Engine: 2.2L 115HP Euro Cars of Denver > > I did accuratley state the HP under "Output HP: 115hp@4800rpm" and hope > the typo didn't cause any confusion. > > Although I have enjoyed all the posts .... Ken Wilfords and a few others > brought up a few points I wanted to address. > > Very important .... please understand, > > I AM NOT A GEAR HEAD AND DON'T PLAY ONE ON THE VANAGON.COM LIST :) > > My observations are purely from an end user seat of the pants perspective. > > Talking Points >>>>> > > Seat of the Pants Impressions: > > Background ..... the engine I had rebuilt, if I remember the receipts > correctly ... had around 20k miles on it after a rebuild. > > I picked the Van up in LA on Sept 11th and drove it up through the Bay Area > and over the mountains via Reno to Denver. Around 1200 miles. > > I was impressed with the stock 2.1L engine .... of course I had to down > shift into third a fair amount coming over the mountains and across the > various hills along the way. > > By the time I arrived in Denver I was feeling guilty about taking an Engine > that was performing perfectly fine and rebuilding it. In my humble opinion, > this engine had another 50,000 - 60,000 miles of life in her. > > Felt strong and certainly more powerful than my 85 Westy's 1.9L engine. > > Fast forward to the trip Denver to Dallas after the 2.2L conversion. > > Several comments were about perception of increased performance improvement > and how after spending x amount of dollars anyone wants to feel improvement > so much, they image it. > > This I know to be a true phenomena. > > My point of view is "You betcha" I think some percentage of my perceived > performance improvement is due to this. > > However, I'm very comfortable in saying ..... a larger percentage is true > seat of the pants perceived engine performance improvement. > > She accelerates quicker and runs at higher cruising speeds easily. > > Please don't beat on me for running her too hard ... just followed the > Engine Builders Break-In advice. > > After all .. he's supplying the warranty. > > Dyno Testing: > > What the heck do I know .... but I think this is a valid point. > > I can say ... it's my understanding that Euro Cars has this is in the works. > > As one poster pointed out .... need to make sure it's apples to apples > testing. > > So come on Ken ..... let's put this on the fast track :) > > Head to Head Dyno Testing. > > Ken Wilford made this brilliant suggestion >>>> if the parties can agree on > test parameters for a fair comparison. > > More fruit i.e...... Apples to Apples. > > I assume it becomes somewhat complex to identify sameness .... but if > possible, this would truly be interesting. > > Perhaps an easier platform to establish sameness would be a 2WD > configuration. > > But if not, I'll gladly make my 1990 Syncro Westy available. > > Ken & Bob >>>> what do you say? > > Why Did I Install a Euro Cars 2.2L Engine: > > When I was going thru the decision process on which engine to install ... I > asked and as usual got very helpful information and suggestions from the > lists. > > After deciding (right or wrong) to stick with a more stock install (debug > time and for ease of the road parts and repair) I narrowed the choices down > to three possibilities. > > My OBJECTIVE was MORE ON RELIABILITY THAN PERFORMANCE INCREASE. > > Boston Engine > AVP > Euro Cars > > Frankly I believe either of these would have been a good choice ..... > although admit to favoring Boston Engine & Euro Cars. > > In one of my first conversations with Euro Cars I explained the details of > my trip "Drive Around North America Continuously For a Year or More" > travelling maybe 50,000+ miles in total. > > Ken, at Euro Cars .... was very excited about the possibility of having his > engine subjected to such a extensive "Live Road Test". I actually cautioned > Ken and tried to moderate his enthusiasm a bit ..... by reminding him that > it's possible a few eyes would be on this trip and if his engine didn't > perform all the world would be in the co-pilots seat. > > Ken didn't blink .... in fact he was so confident in his product he made a > proposal. > > - Waived the normal 12,000 mile warranty and extended it for the duration of > the trip, could exceed 50,000 miles. > - If there was a Catastrophic Fail of the Engine (stuff happens) ... he > would Fed-Ex me a new engine, at his expense. > > - And ....... understood that I would be factually reporting on my > perception of the performance of the engine ... Good or Bad. > > "Lets put those high beams in the dark corners and see what we learn" > > I was impressed and at that point decided to use them for my Engine > Solution. > > I sincerely hope this information and future postings will be useful. > > If anyone has meaningful ways a Non Gear Head like me could measure the > performance of this engine and remove some of the subjectivity, I'd be very > interested in suggestions. > > I believe there is NO "One Size Fits All" answer to the question .... Which > is the Best Engine. > > It all depends on ones needs and objectives. > > Hitting the Trail Soon, > > Larry Chase > > Email: lchase@attglobal.net > Web: www.roadhaus.com - Under Construction > What: The Great North American Road Trip > When: 01.02.03 > How: RoadHaus - 1990 2.2 L VW Westfalia Syncro > Today: Dallas, TX - Front AC Install > From: Mesa, AZ > > - - - - > > Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 07:59:22 -0400 > From: Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET> > Subject: Re: Roadhaus - 2.2L Engine Install , Preliminary Report > > >Second, if you have several of these engines in folks vans, then how > hard would it be to take one to a dyno and have it tested? Especially > since Larry and going to be travelling all over the US. We could > arrange some type of test along the way that would satisfy everyone. > Then we would see if the EC claims are real, or just something they > copied from a european VW manual. It would even better to have Larry's > van and a stock Vanagon (perhaps even with one of Bob's engines in it) > get tested on the dyno the same day (that way you are factoring out > elevation level, dyno error, etc). > What do you say?<