Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Oct 2002 08:09:00 -0700
From:         Craig Oda's Personal email <craig@ODA-INC.NET>
Subject:      bay window vs waterboxer westy

I'm thinking of buying a bay window westy, maybe a 76-79. I was wondering how these compared to waterboxer westies. There are two areas I'm interested in collecting information on. One is the interior layout and the other is the engine maintenance.

Interior layout I think that the Vanagon westy interior is awesome. Very nice use of space, nice storage bins, nice to have the front seats swivel. I like the popup, sink, stove, refridgerator (which I do use). I have no experience with the bay window layout. However, I've seen some where the fridge and sink appear to be behind the passenger's seat. Any interior pics of bay window westies would help me understand the differences. Right now, I have one child, but like the ability to sleep four.

Engine I'm okay with less power. I realize that the waterboxers have more power than the air-cooled 411 engines. I've had numerous problems with the waterboxer and find water-cooled a bit of a pain to work on since I have to drain and bleed the coolant a lot. Some of the stuff that I've done to the waterboxer - changed coolant hoses after blowout in desert - changed radiator fan switch (minor, but annoying) - changed head gaskets twice (and cylinder head once) - spent time cleaning cylinder heads and putting JB weld on them due to pitting, then sanding the surfaces flat (pretty tedious) - reinstalled waterpump after I crimped the gasket on install (these pumps are hard to get to with the engine in the van)

There were numerous other problems, but the above are the ones that I recall that were coolant-related. I'm getting more annoyed because the phosphate-free coolant is not as common and more expensive than the normal green stuff. So, I have to bust out the wallet every time I dump my coolant (and my garbage company doesn't take coolant, so I have to drive to some recycling plant to be environmentally concious, which I try to be)

What's bad about the air-cooled engines? I know lack of heaters, lack of power, loud as heck. Maybe prone to overheating cylinder heads and thus cracking??

General Look I like the roundish look of the air-cooled vans. I want something that is kind-of hippy-like. I think that the bay windows got more slanted in later years. I'm not sure though.

In the end, I may have two vans. One, the vanagon in a constant state of rebuild or camping, and another van for when the vanagon is in pieces.

I'm also thinking of a roadtrek, which would be super-expensive for my budget, but I might be able to get a loan for an old roadtrek.

=====