Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Oct 2002 09:46:47 -0600
From:         Larry Chase <lchase@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: [vanagon] Roadhaus - 2.2L Engine Install ,
              Prelimanary Report / Response

Kevin,

Kudo's ...... well said.

Although I did have to look up the word "Homeric" :)

A primary source of inspiration for my trip has been "Least Heat Moon".

In fact much of what I hope to encounter I expect to be found along the "Blue Highway".

The right balance between preparation & spontaneous departure .. guess it's relative.

Like the "Spare Parts" discussion threads ...ranges from everything to nothing.

One thing though .... during this dreaming, planning, prepping phase .... I have met incredible people, discovered an incredible community and learned much about these incredible machines.

Perhaps the Journey has already begun.

Hitting the Trail Soon,

Larry Chase

Email: lchase@attglobal.net Web: www.roadhaus.com - Under Construction What: The Great North American Road Trip When: 01.02.03 How: RoadHaus - 1990 2.2 L VW Westfalia Syncro Today: Dallas, TX - Front AC Install From: Mesa, AZ

- - - -

Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 17:55:48 -0700 From: kevin obrien <kevindobrien@YAHOO.COM> Subject: Re: [vanagon] Roadhaus - 2.2L Engine Install , Prelimanary Report / Response

>Holy Smokes....what a Homeric journey this has become....and you're not even out of the driveway!!!

Least Heat Moon hit the road with a 1966 van (16 years old...with a bad water pump) in "Blue Highways"...and what is important (I'd assume) is the journey....not the tricked-out Syncro Westy. These discussions could go on forever....in the meantime you could just pack up...get out there... experience all the magic of self-contained travel...and worry about the memories you'll carry with you....as opposed to the inevitable breakdowns you'll experience as a Waterleaker owner.

My personal experience (vast) with driving all over the US in a VW Van has been that the most memorable experiences, adventures...and lasting friendships...have resulted from breaking down along the way.

Just get on with it....save the dough... take friends you'll meet along the way out for dinner or ice cream... and relay your best stories to us... hastening other listees to suck up and depart onto the Blue Highways of their dreams.....

kevin<