Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Oct 2002 21:47:41 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Increasing horsepower
Comments: To: andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ

In piston driven aircraft the engine rebuilds are dictated by the FAA. On non Turbo engines the required rebuild is at 2000 hours. Calculating that average air speed of 120 mph (knots) for light aircraft is 240,000 miles. True you must deduct for time sitting on the ramp waiting to leave. On Turbo charged engines the required rebuild time is 1000 hours. Calculating that the average air speed is still in the 120 mph (knots) bending that a little and allowing for 130 mph (knots) it does add the advantages of shorter takeoff at higher altitude airports. It still equates to about 50% reduction in engine life when you add a Turbo /supercharger /blower to an engine. This equation doesn't work well on diesel engines in heavy rigs since they are truly built to run with the additional boost. Don't get me wrong here fellows, I'm all for you going out and blowing up your engines or reducing your engine life to about half normal. I see putting a turbo charger on an engine as about like just driving the piss out of your Vanagon everyday. We all know what happens when you do that. In addition its not just the poor engine that suffers, most driveline parts suffer shorter life too. With all of the nifty kit cars around and even recent Asian muscle cars avaliable it just seems more practical to get one to go fast and drive your Westy or Vanagon with some respect. My old Oldsmobile Station wagon has 165 Horsepower in a chasis 1200 lighter than my Westy and it gives me the clue that doubling my Westy horsepower in my Westy still leaves me victom to the cheapest and probably oldest Asian car that wants to race me. Will everybody that has a turbo charger, super charger or blower of any kind on a Vanagon or Westy please raise their hand.

Stan Wilder 83 Air Cooled Westy. (Nothing beasts Cubic Inches when you want to go fast.)

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002 14:49:26 +1300 Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ> writes: > >Turbo Charger, Electro Charger, Turbine Compressor......! > > > >The principle is the same. A turbine (turbo) takes in air, > >and using > >centrifugal force > > Centrifugal effect, an effect of angular momentum. No such thing as > centrifugal force.