Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Oct 2002 10:15:02 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Increasing horsepower - Long -Boring
Comments: To: agordon@BRIGHT.NET

OK Angus. Let me qualify the 1000 hour and 2000 hour mandated rebuilds. I managed Addison Piper Aircraft Company in Addison Texas (a small pocket town in Dallas). Our rental and charter aircraft all fell into the Mandated overhaul frame. If you got a Piper cub in your barn or a Cessna 172 for strictly private non commercial, not for hire use you can stretch your hours substantially, depending on your log book and maintenance intervals. Once you jump into the Charter, Rental, Training category things change some. I'm pretty wordy most of the time and failed to lay it out as in my specific experience flatly dictated the rebuild times. You'll have to go to the FARs to get the specifics. Then again my experience was in 1977-1980 and things might have changed a little. I doubt it though. Fact remains .................. look around and try to find one of those Turbo charged vehicles on the road five or ten years after manufacture. Except for Turbo Diesel they mostly reside as steel in some type of Asian Import floor pan. The common Diesel rig would require a small block Chevy as a starter motor if it didn't crank as low compression. The blower then brings the compression up to the 15 to 1 or higher normal operating compression. The heavy earth moving equipment uses a GMC Roots blower that is a screw compressor. The over the road diesels get by with cheaper exhaust driven superchargers or dual superchargers because they are not as prone to lugging as the heavy construction equipment. I've been working with Blowers (GMC Roots), RaJay aircraft (also on Turbo Corvairs) since the early sixties. I can't call myself an expert but I can say I've bought many thousands of dollars worth of blowers and have had first hand experience setting the waste gates and jetting the fuel sources to produce the highest possible horse power. A supercharged, Turbo charged, blown gasoline engine is a transient thing ............... they don't last that long in automobiles. This possibly has something to do with the idiots that abuse them.

Stan Wilder

On Sat, 19 Oct 2002 07:36:21 -0400 Angus Gordon <agordon@BRIGHT.NET> writes: > Stan wrote: > >In piston driven aircraft the engine rebuilds are dictated by the > FAA. > >On non Turbo engines the required rebuild is at 2000 hours... > > > >On Turbo charged engines the required rebuild time is 1000 > hours... > > > > This is nonsense. There is no one universal mandated TBO for > aircraft engines. > Here is an example of the recommended TBO for Lycoming engines - > > http://home.earthlink.net/~tbo/SI1009.pdf > > Many of the turbocharged models (those with a T in the prefix) > have recommended TBO's that are as long or longer than some > normally > aspirated engines. > > > Angus > > > > > ================================ > Angus Gordon '89 Carat > NW Ohio '86 Syncro > >