Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 19 Oct 2002 22:46:42 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US>
Subject:      Re: WBX throwing rods?

I don't think the tapping valve lifter would have any bearing (ha ha) on throwing a rod. My '86 2.1 AT with 174k miles had a lot of tapping when I first got it. It hadn't been run much at all for the previous 2 years. After some period of regular running it, it stopped tapping. It still will tap sometimes if I let it sit for a week or two. It will tap for the first 15 minutes of running, sometimes more. Mine was allegedly rebuilt by a PO at around 100 k miles. I would not worry about the tapping as far as taking a long trip. I would get an oil pressure gauge though. I think that is a better monitor of engine condition in the area of rods flying loose.

Edward

At 10/19/02 09:42 PM, you wrote: >I am getting ready to move from west coast to east coast with my 2.1 auto >~120K miles. Had the leaking head gaskets replaced in 2000 (10kmiles ago) I >have a taping lifter and think it is time to adjust the valves. It used to go >away once it warmed up but not any more. Have used MMO with no improvment. >My conern is driving long dx and throwing a rod since it has been taping for >about 6 months now. What does the list think? >dan >86 gl