Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Oct 2002 14:40:20 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Roadhaus - 2.2L Engine Install , Prelimanary Report
Comments: To: Larry Chase <lchase@ATTGLOBAL.NET>

What was done to make it a 2.2L WBX?

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

Larry Chase wrote: > > Volks, > > As some know, for the last three weeks ... the "RoadHaus" has been in Denver, CO having a long list > of work done on her. > > Not the least of which was the rebuilding of the existing OE 2.1 L Engine into a 2.2L Waterboxer. > > Here is the Preliminary Report on the performance of this engine and my observations. > > Engine Stats: > > Engine: 2.2L 135HP Euro Cars of Denver > Note ... used original core with 160k on it. > Install Completed: 10.13.02 > Output HP: 115hp@4800rpm > Torque: 135 ft lbs. > Displacement: 2220 cc > Stroke: 76.20mm > Bore: 95 mm > Compression: 10 to 1 > > Euro Cars web page on the engine: > > http://www.gizmographics.com/euro/new/22_engine.php > > Install Report: > > Very Impressed with Ken Morgan's Euro Cars operation. > > Has a two bay shop with some off site warehousing space. > Many years of VW Experience and Engine Design. > Incredible Customer Service. Really believes in "Doing It Right". > Once the engine is installed ....... Ken puts 300 miles on it before turning it over to the customer. Changes the oil at 25 & then again at 300 miles. If it meets his performance criteria, only then will he release it to the customer. > > When I first arrived .... he was pulling out a freshly installed engine because he felt it didn't meet this criteria. > > BTW ... to meet my timeline on this project, Ken pulled several "almost ... all nighters". > > I think he was pretty glad to see me leave. Now he can sleep again :) > > Trip Report: > > Left Euro Cars / Denver the minute it was ready ... Sunday at 3pm ... drove straight thru to Dallas ... arrived 7:30am Monday. > > Mileage: 952 > > The 2.2L engine ran great. > > BTW ... I found out when you pass some Cow Boy Pick Up Trucks in a VW Syncro Westfalia doing about 85 MPH, they seem to get a little PO'd. Several punched it and blew back by me with very confused looks on their faces.:) > > Operating Temps: 1/2 way between lower white and light bulb on gauge > > Nice power and torque curve. > > Take off power is much improved. > > Merging into traffic no longer such an exciting life or death proposition :) > > Although I kind of miss the Russian Roulette element of old. > > Cruising Performance. > > Really have to focus on keeping your foot out of it. > > Likes to drift up to 85MPH at around 4200 - 4300 RPM. > > Settles in nicely at 4100 RPM at 75 MPH. > > Never had a need to down shift to 3rd on a hill. > > Course as Toto & Dorothy know ... ain't many hills in Kansas. > > The engine has 1300 miles on her now. > > Will be interested to see what the MPG is at 5,000 Miles after I'm willing to take my foot out of her a bit.. > > Only problem to date ... a small oil leak at the drain plug .... not concerned about this. > > Will snug it a bit and change the washer if need be. > > Other than that .... everything is humming along. > > Today the "RoadHaus" is at European Air Inc in Rockwall, TX. > > Jerry West is installing Front AC, Rebuilding the Rear AC, upgrading the compressor to a Sanden 10ci and replacing the long, front to back AC Hoses. > > Except to be on the road again Thursday. > > Will issue a Preliminary AC Report after that and of course a more detailed 2.2L Engine & AC report as more miles are attained. > > All Questions and Inquires Welcomed. > > Hitting the Trail Soon, > > Larry Chase > > Email: lchase@attglobal.net > Web: www.roadhaus.com - Under Construction > What: The Great North American Road Trip > When: 01.02.03 > How: RoadHaus - 1990 2.2L VW Westfalia Syncro > Today: Dallas, TX - Front AC Install > From: Mesa, AZ