Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Oct 2002 14:07:46 -0400
From:         80 Westy Pokey <pokey@VANAGON.ORG>
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] additional/bigger fuel tank(s) in a vanagon/syncro
Comments: To: david@volkswagen.org
Comments: cc: "Forhan, Thomas" <thomas.forhan@mail.house.gov>,
          chrisp@xmission.com, vanagon@yahoogroups.com, syncro@yahoogroups.com

Hi David,

The original thread was from a 2WD'er... so thats a 60L tank good for 400km if you are REALLY lucky.

To answer the extended tank question. Ken Wilford at www.vanagain.com sells a 22.5 Gallon / 80 Litre tank made by Winkler of Germany. Fits all 2WD vans... unless you have a BA6 heater, that will be in the way.

The South African tanks that fit under the drivers door are really cool. I think they are about 45L. I still need to figure out how to plumb it though...

Thanks, Chris

---- Original message ---- >Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 10:38:49 -0700 >From: "David Marshall" <david@volkswagen.org> >Subject: RE: [Syncro] additional/bigger fuel tank(s) in a vanagon/syncro >To: "Forhan, Thomas" <thomas.forhan@mail.house.gov>, <chrisp@xmission.com>, <vanagon@yahoogroups.com> >Cc: <syncro@yahoogroups.com> > >Re: [Syncro] additional/bigger fuel tank(s) in a vanagon/syncroWhy do you >need all of this extra fuel storage? I can drive for about 6 to 7h with the >fuel that in on my Syncro before I have to fill up again. Even here in >Northern BC there arn't so many filling stations that I don't go to (I go >almost exclusively to PetroPass card lock) and I have enough range to make >it to all of them. Even if I could drive farther I would still have to stop >for the old bathroom break - why not do it at a filling station and rest for >those extra few minutes it takes to put some more fuel in there? > >On a safety note - why would you want to put fuel under the passenger seat - >sounds dangerous to me! > >On a performance note - the 75L of fuel on my Syncro (and yours too) weights >about the same weight as a good sized extra passenger - more fuel equals >more weight and more fuel needed to carry the extra weight. > >Do what I do - take a 20L gerry can along with you on those long trips (I am >going to Northern Saskatchewan next month) this will give my Turbo Diesel >Syncro over 1000km of range. >David Marshall > >Fast Forward Automotive Inc. >4356 Quesnel Hixon Road >Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3 > >http://www.fastforward.ca mailto:sales@fastforward.ca >Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160 > >- Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions >- Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and Importation >- European Lighting for most Volkswagen models > > -----Original Message----- > From: Forhan, Thomas [mailto:thomas.forhan@mail.house.gov] > Sent: October 20, 2002 6:20 AM > To: 'chrisp@xmission.com'; 'vanagon@yahoogroups.com' > Cc: 'syncro@yahoogroups.com' > Subject: Re: [Syncro] additional/bigger fuel tank(s) in a vanagon/syncro > > > 2wd vanagons have three choices I can think of: > Installing a syncro fuel tank, installing a long skinny tank inside the >frame in the middle of the vehicle like those recently bought from SA, and >installing a smaller tank under the front passenger seat. > > Do all three and you'll end up with something like 50 gallons of fuel on >board. > > These are all written up at various times in the various archives, a >little hard to find but easier than going out and doing it yourself without >help. > > Good luck > Thomas Forhan >