Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Oct 2002 23:28:07 +0100
From:         Clive Smith <clive.harman-smith@NTLWORLD.COM>
Subject:      Re: Increasing horsepower -- and optimum consumption
Comments: To: Chuck Mathis <cmathis@HOUSTON.RR.COM>

Yeh, Nimrods do this on maritime patrol, and I think shackletons used to. Most important with gas turbines too, they're all optimised to be producing a reaosnable amount of thrust, hence my comments about driving too slowly when someone suggested the fuel consumption decreases always the way down to crawling speed - rubbish!

Look at those 1000 mpg efficiency competitions - small motors, no throttling, flat out and then coast. Working out the perfect time to restart and the optimum speed to cut is the trick. In a mini (the original Morris I mean) 850, when short of fuel, I'd take her up to 55mph or 60 and then coast down to about 25 mph, trying to catch the downslopes just right of course. Doesn't come naturally either, using quite a lot of throttle to get the thing moving again - but it seemed to work - about 55mpg at aguess.

Clive

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck Mathis" <cmathis@HOUSTON.RR.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, October 20, 2002 3:51 PM Subject: Re: Increasing horsepower -- Piston Engined Aircraft