Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Oct 2002 15:45:08 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Baja Camping/Fishing Trip report
Comments: To: "Syncro@yahoogroups.com" <Syncro@yahoogroups.com>

My 87 Syncro Camper and I just returned from a 1400 mile trip down the east side of the Baja peninsula. Everywhere we stopped to camp at least one other Westy was there also. It was good to see that these things are providing good times for so many owners. I talked with several of them and none belonged to these lists. The oldest was a 70s loaf Westy and newest was a Eurovan Westy, I think a 93. Some Canadians were traveling with a small child in their mint 81 but the others were all from various parts of Calif and Oregon. Another 87 Syncro Westy was a couple from near San Francisco who I have run into several times in Baja in the last few years.

I towed a trailer with a small motor boat and 2 kayaks loaded on it. The Sea of Cortez is a splendid thing with wildlife everywhere. Having some way to get out on the water is a must. We spotted a pod of dolphin a ways away while out in the boat and decided to move closer to get a better look. They decided the same and they swam right over and played with the boat. We snorkeled at numerous reefs and islands and were blessed with clear water in most places for viewing the large schools of tropical fish and other sea creatures.

The weather was pretty warm by day but it cooled at night to perfect temps for sitting around in shorts and watching the stars. The beaches were uncrowded with water temps in the high 70s. The fishing was darn good with some days fantastic. Another Vanagon list member traveled with me and on some days barely a minute passed without one or the other or both of us catching a fish. We ate some tuna, dorado (mahi mahi), trigger, and sierra while releasing countless more including barracuda, grouper, bass, etc.

The Syncro ran well but on the last morning of the return trip it would not start. I could tell that the fuel pump was not making any noise and I quickly put the volt meter test leads on it to see why. It was not getting any power to it. I decided to just hot wire it to make the final leg home so I would not have to unload the gear piled in the back over the engine to make a more precise diagnosis. I ran a wire from the pump to the aux bat and then the pump made it's familiar sounds again. The engine fired right up. I routed the wire under the van and put an inline fuse on it at the battery end to be safe.

The Baja roads are in the best shape ever and tourism is generally down. Fall is the best time to go and spring is pretty good too. The southern migration of Gringo snowbirds was just beginning as we returned. Many retired people flee cold winters for a warm Baja and southbound vehicles often bore license plates from Idaho, Canada, and other cold weather locales. These folks can crowd some campgrounds in winter so less accessible spots are more peaceful.

I am now dreaming of another trip in Nov or Jan to a more remote Baja area that I have heard much about but never visited. It means about 200 miles of questionable dirt roads but that's what Syncros are for.

happy camping, Mark