Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Oct 2002 18:49:46 -0400
From:         Stephen Steele <steeles@HORIZONVIEW.NET>
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] looking for some shade !!
Comments: To: olists <olists@thebrands.org>

> Judging from all of the favorable reports I have read on the fiamma yours > must be a lemon. I do like the pole free shadyboy with the option of a tie > down. What should I look to pay for a shadyboy?

I bought mine straight from Wolfgang at ShadyBoy: >http://www.shadyboy.com/vans/index.html

The awning was less than $240, shipping inclusive. I opted for the upgrade to the silver (more reflective) material.

I have to admit that I was not looking forward to drilling the six holes in the top of my van. However the awning came a self tapping screw, mounts and screws and instructions on placing the mounts so that they are under the pop top (when it is closed). Additionally, the mounting screws do not protrude into the pop top compartment because the slider door mechanism track hides them.

Having just installed the ShadyBoy on my '87 Westy late last month, I had the chance to use it on a camping trip this past weekend.

The awning fits the van nicely and sheds rain well. The extended awning covers the sliding and front passenger doors to the front and back to about the half-way point of the rear passenger side window. While light breezes moved it slightly, there was no need to tie it down with the provided straps. I particularly like that the awning, when hanging from the drip edge mounting without the rods attached, drops to within a few inches of the ground... keeping it up off the dirt and wet and allowing you to unroll/roll it up as dry and clean as possible, even in the rain and mud. A friend had a more rigid, roll up awning installed on his van and needed to "dump" the accumulated rain from his awning after a full night of rain; while mine had only beaded up rivulets dripping on the far edge.

It folds/rolls nicely with no noticeable road or wind noise while traveling. IMHO it works perfectly.

-- Stephen Chillicothe OH