Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Oct 2002 22:35:03 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: A Front Wheel Bearings Question
Comments: To: Tom Young <tomyoung1@ATTBI.COM>

Tom, I don't know about the loose fit you have described, but the idea of applying metal to metal when seating a bearing race terrifies me. I guess I harken back to my old aviation days when the old timers hammered home all the tricks and techniques they had garnered since working on the Wright Brothers flying machine.

Never ever apply a metal hammer of any kind directly to metal to get it to move. To seat a bearing race without a press, put it in place level it, place a block of wood across it - preferably a block of oak- something like a piece of a 2"X4" - then apply the hammer to the wood. I use about a 3 pound blacksmiths hammer. Looks like a small sledge hammer. But it has enough mass that the inertia of the hammer head really moves the metal under the block. This wood avoids any distortion in the race. If the bearing type is such that it sticks slightly above the race, then use the block of wood along the edge of the race and TAP around in a circle with the heavier hammer. It will move into position.

Another little trick - if you have a race of the same size, use it by placing it on the race you are trying to seat. It is a perfect fit and will take the new race right to the bottom of its seat. Heating will not be necessary at all using these methods. I have changed many races this way and never had a problem. I know your job is done already, but perhaps this may be of help in the future.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

Tom Young wrote: > > Hi all: > > Recently got some new rotors and new front bearings. Today I installed the > races for the bearings in the hubs. Although I've never done this before I > heated the rotors in the oven, to about 300-350 degrees, before installing > the races. > > Three of the four races went in pretty much as I expected; after 5 or so > minutes of going 'round and 'round and gentle tap, tap, taping with my tack > hammer the races were home. However, one race, a large inside race, dropped > into place in the hot hub! That is, I lined it up in its hole, let go of > the race expecting it would settle a millimeter or less, and it fell until > it was seated! > > The race seems secure enough in the cooled off hub, but I wonder if this > presages problems down the line. Anybody have in experience in this regard? > > Thanks! > ---------------------------------------------------------------- > Tom Young '81 Vanagon > Lafayette, CA 94549 '82 Westfalia > ----------------------------------------------------------------