Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Oct 2002 22:53:15 -0700
From:         fgfd gfd <empigt@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: opinion which to buy `82-`88 westy UPDATE

Well, if you recall I asked the list about a month ago which I should buy. -`82 westy abandonded at tow company (mechanics lein title, dropped vavle seat,large dent on slidder door some seam rust, some broken glass and other interior probs $500 -`88 Westy GL 69K miles, sitting since `97, supposed bad engine, nice but super SUPER dirty interior...coffe and dog stains everywhere! $1500

Well, update I offer the `82 guy $300 he says no..offer the `88 person `$1000 and she says $1100. I decide to buy neither but take the cash and pay some credit cards off and toss a bit into my aircooled early vws 50,52 beetles and my `6owesty.

Well a couple weeks go by and I get a call from the `88 westy lady. They sold their house and are moving she says $900 firm takes it. I call back and tell her no longer interested UNLESS she would take $750 as it is all the extra cash i had. Well she took it and I have th `88 here!

Well here is news about the `88. I try to start her with a new battery and no go...just like owners said. Bad starter...so I order one and proceed to coffee stained carpets and dog stained seats.

My buddy says gut the interior and get a gallon drum of OXYCLEAN...ever used this stuff? Holly SHIT this stuff is mystical!!??? How the hell does it work. Long story shorter it totally cleaned EVRYTHING outta the carpet and seats. The damn interior is now SPOTLESS. If I knew it would have come that clean I think I would have bought the van for the $1500 asking price earlier! I was WAYYYY happy with results.

Get the starter next day. Install it...yep cranks nice now. She sputters but no start. I pull the plugs...champions!? DO a comp test...get some strange results, but again this is a cold engine that has not been cranked over in 5 years. I just wanted to see if there was anything terribly wrong. I get 1-190 2-160 3-140 4-200 hmmmm not great but again this thing has not run in 5 years. So I stick in new plus bosch supers. She fires first crank! Some smoke and coughing but then smoooooth! Did I mention the lack of exhaust system ....yes VERY LOUD too. I jump in the spot were drivers seat was (seat is still drying) and take off down the road. Heck she drives great and amazingly everything works! Power mirrors, heat, gauges, lights. rear wiper wow! I love this thing.

I return home still wondering why they deemed the motr shot? I then see a trail of fluid down the road durectly behing the van...Ughhhh damn heads! But curiosity is the owners said they had done the heads not too long before parking it in 97. Remeber this thing has only 69K on the clock. I wonder if this leak is what they saw and gave them their..oh shit the engine is junk..idea. Upon close inspection I notice the fluid looks oily...maybe some coolant but not sure. Definitely too big a leak to drive though.

Next day I get under her...exhaust studs too rusted for a quick pull so I just cut off disk the bracket for the pushrod tins...I will just weld her after wards when i do the exhaust. Heads are DRY as a bone! and very clean underneath too! Well I start her up and its the dam low oil pres sender just POURING out oil. CoooL! Cheap easy fix...I buy a new low and high sensor and voila no leak. She starts at the turn of the key! I plan on redoing the comp test when the engine is warm and just ran to check if to see if that earlier test was a fluke. All and all very happy with it so far for $750!

I do need a coupel items and some info...will post em in following messages. If anyone has any helpful hints or what not for me with this van please let me know. I am a 15 year seasoned air cooled mechanic and am very new but eager to add the waser boxer to my list.

Thanks Todd s