Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Oct 2002 21:52:35 -0700
From:         Gary Liess <joyluck@SONIC.NET>
Subject:      Newbie - Turbo Diesel Power  global efficiency

Hi all, new to this great group. Noticed last week comments on Diesels and their pollution. I run my 82 diesel vanagon on bio diesel, my 83 Mercedes Benz and 87 Mercedes both on straight veggie oil. Anyone concerned about diesel emissions can easily use bio diesel with no engine modification and no effort. There is study after study that says bio diesel produces significantly less pollution. Here in northern Ca. we have lots of bio diesel and straight veggie oil users, so many that we have formed two co-ops, one for straight veggie and one for bio diesel. We get free unused oil and the members all share in the work load and share information. I'm working on the road tax issues right now as we are using free food products (oil) to power our vehicles and pay no road tax (on the fuel) as the state hasn't decided what to do yet.

I loved the comments from David Marshall in Canada, he understands that this movement is good for all of us, less pollution and less dependence on petroleum products from far far away. The exhaust smells pretty good, (I love the smell of veggie oil in the morning).

Wade's questions were about bio diesel production and if its practical, it is but it certainly isn't the solution to auto pollution but its a step in the right direction, there is lots and lots of free oil around and anybody can make bio diesel, its not that hard at all.

Bills had a comment about taking away land to grow oil instead of food. Its estimated that by using used cooking oil and fallow cropland we could produce about 15% of the annual diesel use. This is going to sound crazy but the future of bio diesel will come from growing Algae. In a program funded by the Dept. of Energy the National Renewable Energy Laboratory found that algae produces 40 times as much oil as a canola plant does in the same space.

I'm in the process of switching to a 1.9TD as soon as I find a decent engine, also will swap to a air cooled trans. Once I get the new engine I plan on running on straight veggie in the new and improved Vanagon, no longer delegated to the right hand lane.

Gary Liess Northern Ca.

82 diesel Vanagon 83 Mercedes Benz 300 CD 87 Mercedes Benz 190 D