Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 21 Oct 2002 23:47:22 -0700
From:         Craig Oda's Personal email <craig@ODA-INC.NET>
Subject:      Eurocars Reman/Rebuilt Engines

I've been looking at the prices of the remanufactured and rebuilt engines at Eurocars http://www.gizmographics.com/euro/new/remanufactured.php

This seems considerably cheaper than my previous choice,

http://www.avp-worldwide.com/engines.htm

So, $1,600 for a remanufactured 1.9L engine seems pretty good to me if the quality is any good and if there are no hidden costs. Anyone have any experience with them? Also, what's the advantage of the the $1,600 reman over the $1,100 rebuilt?

The $400 core charge looks pretty good since I'm driving around with 20 psi oil pressure on the freeway and one day soon, the rods could throw or something evil could happen. I'm not sure how close to an engine swap I am. My compression on my cylinders appear to be good #1=140psi; #2=140psi; #3=120ps; #4=130psi and there are no apparent horrible sounds from the engine (yet). I'm thinking of going camping a few more times, then when it gets cold (for SF weather), drop the engine and take a look at it. If at this point, if I feel confident, then I might try to replace the main bearings or oil pump myself or other parts myself. Otherwise, I will probably buy a reman or rebuilt (I don't know the real difference here.)

One last question. If I decide to replace the bearings myself, I would probably need to get the case align bored at some shop. Where could I get this done and how much would it cost? I am in San Bruno, CA which is next to San Francisco airport. There seems to be a lot of auto shops in San Bruno, South San Francisco (next city over and where my office is) and other places in this area. Any ideas on places and costs?

=====