Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Oct 2002 20:26:41 +1300
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Cars in Oz... cars in Enzed

>100%+ duty used to be the norm here, back in '85 I brought a BMW in and paid >more in duty once landed than I had paid for the car from the factory in >Munich... From '86 all new cars had to be unleaded fuel only, and had to >have catalytic converters. After a few years, the goverment realised that >people could not afford new cars and modified the tax structure somewhat to >try and make the national fleet younger.

Aussie import tariffs have been undergooing reduction and are due to disappear entirely in a few years' time. Their purpose was to protect the local manufacturers and their substandard products.

>New Zealand used to be a lot worse than Australia in this regard,

USED to be being the operative phrase. Now we're far better off than the Australians, with much cheaper used cars and a far wider range of choice (every model and version offered on the Japanese market is now freely available here, and that's a LOT of highly-specced cars/vansotherwise never seen outside Japan). A friend recently moved to Breezebin (that's how many Aussies pronounce Brisbane) and was shocked at used-car prices. Bought a 1985-or-so Camry liftback for $3500AUS. In NZ I have seen 9& later Camrys offered for less, and all post87Camrys (and everyrthing other than Hondas) are utterly rust-free here.

>and when I >was over there in '86 there were many '50s cars still on the road, including >the "ubiquitous" Morris Minor.

Almost all of these are gone, including Beetles and Split vans, unfortunately. Used Japanese imports drove these to the dump years ago now, beginning in about 1987 or so. Not many 70s cars are left either... the odd Corolla, Corona or Bug. The old Hillmans and other Pommie trash are virtually extinct.

>The situation changed significantly when >import restrictions were relaxed, and Japanese market cars that were 5 or so >years old flooded the market for next to nothing.

NZ is very much a Japanese-car market, and all the better for it. Eurotrash isn't catching on very well, fortunately. Aussie Holdens and Fords are fairly common. Quite a few Koreans too, some of which are STILL license-built Mitsubishis (eg the H100 van, which is a facelifted Mitsubishi Delica).

>It was a very different >story when I was there again in '96 (mind you crank operated payphones were >in common use in '86 too, and these were nowhere to be found in '96).

C'mon, I've NEVER seen a crank phone in NZ, appart from an ancient farmhouse in the middle of nowhere. Cranked payphones? Pull the other one! -- Andrew Grebneff 165 Evans St, Dunedin 9001, New Zealand <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut