Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 23 Oct 2002 21:36:51 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Engine Balancing
Comments: cc: wetwesties@yahoogroups.com

Over the years I've acquired and rebuilt about ten Air Cooled Type IV engines. It has always been my standard procedure to disassemble engines and maintain all of the parts together. The purpose in this is to have all of the parts and investigate why the engine failed. Some things just jump out at you like dropped valve seats, crank bearings that missed the pins, cylinder head gaskets cut by leaks, burned out rod bearings. Many of these things lead you to believe that the single thing caused failure. I've seen engines with a dropped valve seat and a valve stem just hanging on by a thread on an opposing head. If you can evaluate the mileage on the engines by crankcase stains, cylinder head stains, carbon deposits on pistons and valves and rod bearing wear, cam shaft wear, roundness of the rod big ends / crank shaft bearing bores and you can find the cause of failure is related to several things. Each engine is a special case and we all know something has to fail first. In many cases the first failure crippled the vehicle but had this part not failed there was another in line to kill the engine. Part of my evaluation is to weigh each piston assembly and rod to see how close they are in weight. My first adventure with this was at Allied Fastener that weighed some parts on their very precise fastener counting scale. I doubted the results because the pistons and rods were very close in weight, never more than one gram difference. I considered that the law of averages was fighting me but after buying my own electronic scale, I've weighed OEM, Cofap, Mahle and Japanese pistons and never had anything more than one gram out. (scale has +1/-1 accuracy.) With rods I seldom find them more than two grams out even after 20 years of use and several reconditioning. The proper way to weigh rods is ......... weigh each end. Even with this more critical weighing process the rods were still within one gram on each end. (Weighing both ends not much of a trick, fixed rod from scale center mark, weigh one end, turn the rod around and weigh the other end.) Example: Rod nut 6 grams. It shows why the big end of rods balances: IE 1gr is a lot of steel and reconditioning rods seldom removes much steel. Now that I've got you yawning .................. engine balance in VW engines is very good, I've never found a VW engine that was far enough out of balance to cause engine failure. I'm hoping that this has answered the age old question "Why do Waser Boxers Throw Rods?". If they are as precise as Air Cooled : It ain't the balance.

Stan Wilder

________________________________________________________________ Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com