Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Oct 2002 13:06:19 -0400
From:         Laurence Smith <laurence@ALANASMITH.COM>
Subject:      Re: '89 2.1i digifant cutting out. Really need some help on this
              one... ; NOT SOLVED!
Comments: To: Jamie Bowen <jamie.bowen@ORCHESTRIA.COM>

First assumption is that the ignition wires, spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor are all fine.

I like to think iof probabilities given the symptoms. So here goes:

If the stumbling hgappens when cold then you can rule out the O2 sensor. It only influences the ECU when warmed up (which is about 1 minute). When warm and water (from rain) gets on the O2 sensor or its wiring can cause sometimes stumbling. Low probability.

A dying ECU is rare. Low probability.

The Temp II sender doesn't react fast enough to cause drammatic stumbling. Low probability.

Injectors are awful reliable. Low probability of a problem here. But they do ground on the firewall (via the ECU) and if this ground is getting bad through corrosion you would get intermmittent bad grounding especially as the weather gets colder and metal shrinks a bit. This would cause stumbling. Medium probability.

If there was gas starvation, but the stumbling only lasts a second, then I would omit gas starvation as the culprit. Why? Because if there is a blockage of some sort, then the stumbing would vary from a second, 5 seconds, occassional stalling. You imply that the the stumbling time is quite consistent. Also, I think of fuel pumps as either working or not. Medium probability.

The throttle switch is only a factor when idling or under "pedal to the metal" load. So this may be ommitted. Low probability.

The idle stabilizer and control unit may be flakey, but I think this a low probability.

If the stumbing went away for a while (days or weeks) then I would omit problems with the AFM. Also, it is not the Vanagon syndrome because the problem also happens when cold. Medium probability.

The hall sender can go flakey and send intermittent reading to the ECU which would in turn cause stumbling. I think it is a low probablity however.

The fuel pressure regulator tends to either work or it doesn't. They are usually reliable. Low probability.

The coil is a good candidate for investigation. If it is starting to die it will provide unreliable sparks. I would check this out. High probability.

You may have a vacuum leak which may starve the engine of fuel and cause stumbling. If your idle is going up and own this may be something to investigate. Check the rubber connector connection between the air filter/afm and the throttle body. Medium probability.

Ignition key/lock electrical portion can be flakey and cause intermittent power signals especcially when pulling away from a stop. Low probability.

That's all I can think of at the moment. Good luck!

Laurence Smith Hamilton, ON 90 Westy (fanumbos)