Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 25 Oct 2002 10:10:19 -0700
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Lets do Engine Rebuilding Math!
Comments: To: Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>

Very well put Ken!

PS - I got that radiator in the mail yesterday - looks pretty 'cool' [ouch! It's Friday :0 ]

Thank you again Ken!

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3

http://www.fastforward.ca mailto:sales@fastforward.ca Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

- Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions - Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and Importation - European Lighting for most Volkswagen models

OK, we have had some discussion on the list lately about who is the good engine rebuilder to go with, and how you can tell, etc. I think one easy way is to just do the math. Sit down and look at all of the components that should be replaced when doing a real engine rebuild (versus a reassembly).

2 new heads- $790 1 new set main bearings- $75 1 new set cam bearings- $9 1 new of pistons cylinder and rings- $275 1 new oil pump- $25 1 complete engine gasket set- $120 1 set of rebuilt rods- $140 1 set of new lifters- $72 1 reground cam- $80 8 pushrod tubes- $72 Total- $1658

This does not factor in align boring the case if that is needed or shipping on these parts. Also this doesn't factor in intangibles like a rebuilder who has been doing this for many years and knows tricks and things that we would not know. Compare this to the cost of a Boston Engine rebuild ($2300) and you have about a $642 difference. Now I charge $50 per hour as a mechanic and $642 would only buy 12 hours of my time. So you are getting all of the rebuilders know-how, years of experience for $642. Sounds like a good deal to me.

If you have a rebuilder who is selling a motor for the cost of recommended replacement parts alone ($1648) (or less) you have to wonder what is not being replaced. Some rebuilders make "hidden" money by not refunding your core deposit("the engine is worn out so your core is no good." Gee why was I putting in a rebuilt engine in the first place!).

However if you were just having an engine "reassembly" done and not a rebuild then your cost would be less of course. If you are re-using many of the internal components of the engine because they appear to be "all-good" then you could do a reassmebly for this cost:

2 rebuilt heads- $420 (AVP) 1 engine gasket set- $120 1 set of rings- $75 1 set of main bearings- $75 1 set of cam bearings- $9 Total- $699

By these figures if a rebuilder is charging around $1600 for this type of "rebuild" (which is really just a "reassembly" with used parts) then he is putting in his pocket $901. And then if your core is "bad" because it is "worn out" you may wind up spending an addtional $300-$600 in core costs. That means that the cheap "rebuild" turns out to be almost the same price as an actual rebuild. You are getting less "rebuild" for more money.

So do the math, ask the rebuilder exactly what you are getting for the money. And understand that sometimes for a little more money, you can actually get a lot more in quality. Just FYI. Any comments are encouraged. No I don't know what the BTU rating of a waterboxer case set on fire would be :)

Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 http://www.vanagain.com Phone: (856)-327-4936 Fax: (856)-327-2242