Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Oct 2002 00:01:02 -0500
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Bad Dad
Comments: cc: wetwesties@yahoogroups.com

Several days ago I received several sets of main bearings and other engine bearings. Several days before I had retrieved my crankshafts, reconditioned rods and some cylinder heads from a local shop. Since the temperatures are down in the lower 40s in Dallas I decided that I needed to bring the five VW Type IV blocks from the garage into the rear door to my den that functions as no-man's land and is full of shipping supplies, computers, books, a few TV sets and a few VCRs. Other than not wanting to work in the cold garage I reasoned that a warm block would give more accurate micrometer readings when sorting through the main bearing selection process. Poppy (12 week old pup) was helping me to trip, fumble and drop every thing I was bringing in. It is my common practice to keep a glass of water near me most of the day so I can get down my minimum of two to there quarts a day. I took a rest and drank some water. Poppy was exuberant about all the new stuff I had brought into our shared domain and was examining everything for chewable surfaces or things she could drag outside to include in her collection of clutter. I had recovered a few giant cardboard water heater cartons and I had broken them down flat, spread them out to protect the now fading 20 year old carpet in my den. Poppy was directing my efforts pulling on the corners as I placed the cardboard pieces. I moved the engine cases to the cardboard and sat to take a break and check my E-mail. Poppy was being a real pest standing on her hind legs trying to lick the sides of the water glass sitting on the desk. She knew it was water because I often refill her drinking bowl as I walk by with my water glass. I gathered up my micrometers of various types and sat down to a two foot high steel work base that holds an engine and started rotating it taking the various measurements. Poppy continued to be a real pest and wouldn't let me alone, she had her nose into everything and carried of my micrometers more than once. While I was retrieving my Micrometers she was going after my water glass on the desk licking the condensed moisture from the sides. With the five trips to the garage and all the activity Poppy was walking around with her tongue hanging out. Then it hit me ............. she's being a pest because she's out of water. That was it. I filled her water bowl and after drinking she laid down for a nap while I finished my measurements in peace. If she could talk, she'd say I was a bad dad.

Stan Wilder 83v Air Cooled Westfalia

________________________________________________________________ Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com