Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 Oct 2002 14:58:36 -0800
From:         Doktor Tim <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>
Subject:      Re: filling in sanded surface/touch up paint
Comments: To: John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>

At 02:33 PM 10/27/2002, you wrote:

>Yep, ToothPaste is a very fine abrasive for cleanup and polishing many >things including plastics like plexiglas and lexan. > >Need a hole through glass? Here's a little trick for you. > >Get yourself and electric eraser - the kind used by draftsmen.

Wow, great tip. I used those a bunch back in the hand drafting days. Got a brand new one in box stashed. I bought two when I started a practice and never needed more than the one. Many different types of eraser inserts were available. Most graphics supply houses still have them available. Of the many types I used, the white type for ink on starched linen was the most aggressive. It would eat through mylar with just a bit of effort. Common pink type was next for pencil on paper or vellum. The soft white plastic/vinyl inserts I used dry for pencil on vellum or moistened for ink on mylar edits. Very clean. It mops up the ink or graphite with the crumbs. A yellow type vinyl is also available which is imbibed with an ink volatile for ink on mylar work.

I wouldn't bear down on them, they were not designed for that. It shouldn't need more than it's own weight to cut, and the bearings will last much longer. Bruning's design was dominant as the industry standard. It was sold under several names.

I wonder about polishing chips in the windshield to prevent running cracks from getting started? Also, dressing chips in paint with toothpaste and one of these little motors is worth a try. Rare earth abrasive slurry and one of these power erasers might speed up hole drilling over the toothpaste.

Great tip. Now, what glass do I have around here that needs a hole in it that I can experiment on?