Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 27 Oct 2002 19:58:43 -0800
From:         Mike Collum <collum_westy@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: gas overflow

<snip> I have a couple of questions: > Is there any one of these > particular parts that is more likely to cause the > symptoms that I'm seeing? Or > is the bottom line that, if one of them is bad and > you have to go to the trouble > of taking the gas tank out, you should go ahead and > replace all the parts in > Ken's kit? <snip>

Just 2 days ago I dropped my '85 Westy's tank and installed Ken's kit along with a new fuel level sender.

Most likely (in my opinion) to cause the leaking problem is one or more of the cloth covered rubber lines to and from the fuel expansion tanks. There are the ones you can see (in the wheel wells) ... and the ones on top of the tank that you can't see. These lines tend to dry rot and tear quite easily.

Second most likely (again, in my opinion)is the plastic vent line with the plastic "Y"s at each end that runs across the tank connecting the two humps (the afore mentioned hidden cloth covered lines connect to these "Y"s). The plastic line can crack, the "Y"s can crack or break, or the plastic line can become loose where it connects to the "Y"s.

Third most likely (yep ... my opinion) is that the grommets that various lines pass through can become hardened and no longer provide a good seal.

Fourth most likely is the "O" ring that seals the fuel level sender.

Fifth most likely is that the top of the tank has become rusty and is leaking when full.

Now to your second question.

My leak(s) when full were caused by the little cloth covered vent lines having rotted. I decided to do the whole thing while I was in there so I wouldn't have to mess with it again for 15 or so years. Upon removing the tank and its associated lines I found that the plastic vent line was no longer tight against the "Y"s, so, replacing that assembly was a good idea anyway. I suppose one could put hose clamps at those connections (assuming the "Y"s and the pipe aren't cracked but that would probably only buy some time as plastic does eventually harden and break.

Bottom line .... do the whole thing.

My fuel gauge didn't work at all so naturally I replaced the sender (works like a champ, now), but when I do my '84s tank I will replace its sender, too. Its gauge works .... just not too accurately.

Mike '85 Westy '84 GL