Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Oct 2002 13:36:47 -0400
From:         Malcolm Stebbins <Malcolm.Stebbins@MSVU.CA>
Subject:      Re: Carburator help please
Comments: To: fgfd gfd <empigt@yahoo.com>

> They make a carb kit for vanagons? I thought they were all fuel > injection. This has my attention...do you have info on the carb set > up? I have aquired an `88 with fuel injection probs and would love the > carb set up. Thanks

First off, My carb set up is gerry-rigged after the PPO's engine box fire, the van came with FI.

Secondly, I'm in Canada and we do NOT have auto emissions testing. You might check with your local authorities prior to doing anything - just so that you know what you're getting into.

Third, many European Vanagons had factory carbs.

Fourthly, FI is a science, Carburetion is an art!

Having said that, my van's 2 barrel, progressive Solex carb (34C TCIC / 13 0757) runs nearly perfectly (I took it apart just for cleaning). People who have driven my van can not tell any difference in its performance vis-a-vis FI. If I were to replace my carb, I'd put on a Weber DFEV due to availability of manuals and re-build kits and spare parts.

I have this set up (but with a Solex): http://www.carbs.net/Weber/Dataresults3.asp?Kit_Nbr=K410&Model= TYPE%20I%20/%20TYPE%20II%20LEVEL%20I

This set up LOOKS great, but I've been advised against it by Weber themselves!!: http://www.carbs.net/Weber/Dataresults3.asp?Kit_Nbr=K297&Model= TYPE%20II%20/%20TYPE%20IV%20LEVEL%201

2 books are good for Webers: Haynes ISBN 12392157X and Pat Braden ISBN 089586 377 4

Here are some Carb URLs that I find helpful:

http://www.partsvw.com/ www.CIP1.Com http://www.webercarburetors.com/ http://www.carbs.net/index.htm http://dimequarterly.tierranet.com/tech.html http://www.hillmanimages.com/bay912 http://wow.atlasta.net/~mriluvu/oacdp/solex.html (very good explanations of carbs here) http://www.carbkits.com/ http://www.carburatorsaustralia.com/ http://www.piercemanifolds.com/partviewintroa.htm http://www.cyberauto.com/ http://www.ricksbuggies.com/main.htm http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/

That's about all I know. Malcolm