Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 28 Oct 2002 10:43:42 -0800
From:         Matthew Pollard <poll7356@UIDAHO.EDU>
Subject:      simple oil temp measurement.... will this work?
Comments: To: Tiicolist@vgonman.com
Comments: cc: syncro@yahoogroups.com

i want to measure my oil temp but don't have a fancy VDO temp sender, etc. But i do have fancy temperature probes that are just a small wire i can put anywhere (type K thermocouples). I would be happy to snake one into a coolant line (like SeanB did once upon a time) but am a reluctant to do that to an oil line as the consequences are much more sever if it leaks....

so what about strapping my thermometer to the body of the oil filter? I know the oil cooler is there, but my logic is that after a while, the whole system is in equilibrium and the coolant won't cool the oil THAT much, right? i mean after a while, like an hour or so of driving.

The motive of this research is two fold. I recently installed a cooler thermostat and radiator fan-switch and would like some date to support out hypothesis that is the the correct system for these rig's. And the second point of note is this from driving this past weekend. The ambient temperature was between high 20's to high 30's. When cruising along at highway speeds, after about an hour the front heater would start to loose it's burning hot air but instead more a mild heat would come out. I had the rear core open and the rear fan on the 1st setting. I had the air flow on FULL in the front. To get more heat i would throttle the front air to 1/2 or 2/3 off. My concern is it may be running too cold. The ever-so-accurate needle on the dash sits steady at 1/2 high at all times once the engine is warm.

the books i have on engines always say the ideal oil temp is 109deg C.

Thanks matthew 86 syncro westy tiico