Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 22 Oct 2002 14:38:37 -0700
From:         Timothy Hannink <tjhannink@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Mystery Battery
Comments: To: Arthur Anderson <rgylpunk@MAINE.RR.COM>

The relay is controlled by a blue wire which connects directly to the output of the alternator. The relay switches and connects the batteries in parallel only when the alternator is producing current.

I was camping this weekend and used my 10A battery charger on the aux battery while watching movies. I ran a jumper from the "+" on the aux battery and energized the relay so both batteries would charge.

The only thing would have been connected to the auxiliary battery from the factory was the 12V outlet under the passenger seat. That outlet was for the portable Dometic RC160E fridge that was originally part of the camper package for your particular "Westy".

For more info on your type of camper go to the Yahoo! Wolsburg_Campers group. See my signature for the hyperlink.

Good luck,

Tim

--- Arthur Anderson <rgylpunk@MAINE.RR.COM> wrote: > Hi all! This is my first question to this list, > first car and I'm not a > mechanical person so you may have to bear with me > here while I try to > make this make sense... > I have a slightly quirky 85 Wolfsburg ed. Westy > Weekender. I've been > puzzling through the electrical system with a very > electrically minded > friend, and we've come upon a deep cycle battery > (quite dead) under the > drivers seat. The thing is that even with this > battery dead, everything > in the van runs whenever we need it to. The deep > cycle was only wired to > a lighter outlet under the front passenger seat. So > what did the battery > power when it was live? There is a relay which would > potentially connect > the deep cycle to the alternator/starting > battery/main electrical system > but we cannot figure out what controls the relay. > Anyone know? My buddys > best guess at this was that originally the deep > cycle would power the > electrical system when the ignition key was off and > then when the engine > was running the alternator would charge both > batteries in parallel. > Thanks for any help you can give, and I hope this > all makes sense... > > -Arthur Anderson > Portland, ME.