Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 31 Oct 2002 14:43:23 -0500
From:         Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@USA.DUPONT.COM>
Subject:      Re: the answer to rusty coolant lines....
Comments: To: Cooper Jonathan <Cooper@BQMLAW.COM>

My Bentley clearly states that you have to drop the tank. Some claim to have done it without, but the metal pipes are less forgiving. I did both projects at the same time (gas tank fix and new pipes).

Jay '85 Westy

Cooper Jonathan <Cooper@BQMLAW.COM>@gerry.vanagon.com> on 10/31/2002 02:32:19 PM

Please respond to Cooper Jonathan <Cooper@BQMLAW.COM>

To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM cc: Subject: Re: the answer to rusty coolant lines....

Always remember, if you intend to replace these pipes "in toto" you need to drop the tank. Bentley is a little ambiguous, and it doesn't look like you have to. But I started to do it with the assumption that you did not. Suddenly there I was with no coolant yet half a tank of gas. What a pain.

Jonathan R. Cooper Brzytwa, Quick & McCrystal 900 Skylight Office Tower Cleveland, OH 44113 216-664-6900 (voice) 216-664-6901 (fax) Cooper@BQMlaw.com JonathanRCooper@directvinternet.com

"Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the [guts] to live in the real world." -Mary Shafer, NASA Ames Dryden

-----Original Message----- From: JordanVw@AOL.COM [mailto:JordanVw@AOL.COM] Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2002 12:09 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: the answer to rusty coolant lines....

fwd from our buddy terry..

Subj: [vanagon] RE; The Answer to Coolant Lines-- Date: 10/31/02 11:47:06 AM Eastern Standard Time From: <A HREF="mailto:ctonline@webtv.net">ctonline@webtv.net</A> To: <A HREF="mailto:Limbolist@yahoogroups.com">Limbolist@yahoogroups.com</A>, <A HREF="mailto:Vanagon@yahoogroups.com">Vanagon@yahoogroups.com</A>, <A HREF="mailto:Syncro@yahoogroups.com"> Syncro@yahoogroups.com</A>, <A HREF="mailto:WetWesties@yahoogroups.com">WetWesties@yahoogroups.com</A> Sent from the Internet (Details)

I appreciate all the knowledge that you all expounded upon me on the coolant line quagmire----

I went to a heavy equipment hose dealer yesterday afternoon, old 1.25" rusted out lines that I had cut out in hand--with the intention of buying either marine exhaust hose or silicone hose--which are both good ideas, as well as a simple solution.

I explained the situation to the guy behind the counter--he grabbed my rusted out steel lines and disappeared behind the door to the shop-- 5 minutes later he came back with a stainless steel hydraulic line bent to the exact specs of the old coolant line--except with one twist--it is 063 thick---almost 3 times as heavy as the original's--and perfect-- Now I only need to connect the stainless replacements with a 4" hose silicone hose splice, double clamped.

The cost?

$18.00 each--plus the 8 aircraft screw clamps, and the silicone hose--

The total for everything was $50.00--OTD.

Now with this in mind---I should have just dropped the whole kit and kabudle,and got rid of all the thinly constructed, cheap VW lines and just put all stainless in---front to rear, the whole apple cart.

I think that the stainless will be long lived especially up around the rear wheel well where the lines have trouble with the road garbage being thrown on them.

I think I have found the perfect solution to a common problem--

Again thanks to all of you who offered me your advise, and idea's---

Later,

Terry--

"Zoom, Zoom, Zoom" ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://community.webtv.net/CTONLINE/TerrysHighOnLife

http://community.webtv.net/vwfirstaidkit/VWFirstAidKit

http://community.webtv.net/VanStuff/VanagonWestfalia

This communication is for use by the intended recipient and contains information that may be privileged, confidential or copyrighted under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby formally notified that any use, copying or distribution of this e-mail, in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system. Unless explicitly and conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended", this e-mail does not constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment, or an acceptance of a contract offer. This e-mail does not constitute a consent to the use of sender's contact information for direct marketing purposes or for transfers of data to third parties.

Francais Deutsch Italiano Espanol Portugues Japanese Chinese Korean