Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 31 Oct 2002 14:48:44 -0500
From:         Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      FW: Rectangle headlight conversion to common 200mm headlights

-----Original Message----- From: Kenneth Wilford [mailto:kenwilfy@comcast.net] Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2002 12:57 PM To: Birkenfeld Jeff Subject: RE: Rectangle headlight conversion to common 200mm headlights

It is funny that you should mention this. About 2 years ago this was something that was much talked about and discussed. I bought a pair of rectangular Cibie H4 just for this purpose. However, when I got them I found that I really couldn't see a way to make a frame for them. I wound up using a standard rectangular Vanagon outter headlamp instead of making a frame. The lamp was already cracked, so I just smashed the rest of the glass out. Then I had to cut away some of the reflector, but I left most of the reflector which still had the mounting tabs on it. Then I took the Cibie lamp and siliconed it in place with this industrial silicon that we had. That was 2 years ago. I promptly put the light in a box and forgot all about actually installing it on the van.

Just last week I rediscovered this uninstalled project and decided to finish it. I hate fooling with the adjusters on these lights because they are so brittle and are junk. However one of my lights was burnt out, and I had a good excuse to install the H4 Cibie. It went on well and looks stock (if I didn't tell you, you would never know it wasn't the same as before). It puts out a lot more light than the stock DOT lens. I am pretty happy with it. I think it would work even better with a relay upgrade which is the next thing on the list.

I still have to repeat this proceedure on the driver's side lens. If anyone is interested I could take some digital pictures and do a write up on it. I think the Cibie lights were under $100 a pair (it has been a long time so I could be wrong) and they are beautifully made lenses, and have the parking light bulb in them as well. If I remember correctly I bought them from Daniel Stern Lighting. 200mm Cibie H4. Just FYI.

Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 http://www.vanagain.com Phone: (856)-327-4936 Fax: (856)-327-2242 -----Original Message----- From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com]On Behalf Of Birkenfeld Jeff Sent: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 12:04 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Rectangle headlight conversion to common 200mm headlights

I remember awhile back a post where someone had converted conventional 200mm rectangle headlights to fit the '86 and later vanagon by fabricating a frame for the common headlight to fit the vanagon mounting.

Anybody remember this post or a webpage showing this mod?

Thanks, JB