Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 29 Oct 2002 21:18:13 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: ticking engine / valve adjustment?
Comments: To: joe lucca <joe_lucca@HOTMAIL.COM>

Joe, the WBX is notorious for making a clacking sound caused by hydraulic lifters leaking down and losing their oil. Takes a while after start up for the lifters to pump up again and the nois to go away.

IF indeed this is your problem, the following seems to be what has worked for many on this list, including me.

If the oil is low, add a pint to a quart of Marvels Mystery Oil to the oil system. Run it for a hundred miles or so then change the the oil. When you change the oil be sure and use a Mann or Mahle oil filter. Nothing else seems to work when you start haveing these noisy valve problems. The leak down of the hydraulic lifter is the result of a weak internal spring in the filter and the pressure is not maintained in the engines oil galleries when the engine is not running. Then the pressure drops and the lifter goes flat. The Mahle and Mann filters have a hefty spring that prevents that. Don't get talked into anything else. Get them from some of our list vendors. Refill the engine with 20W50 wt oil. I know that seems heavy, but it is in the specs for engine and it seems to be the collective wisdom of the list that this is what works best generally, unless you go to a synthetic like Mobil 1 15W50.

That should do the trick for you. it would also help to periodically run a can of Marvels through the fuel to keep the injectors clean as well. This is pretty routine with me, and I get good service from my machine.

It's possible that this won't cure the problem, but most of the time it does. if not, then you may need to look at adjusting the valves and some other stuff, and for all that I suggest you read the material on Bob Donalds web site http://www.bostonengine.com.

Good luck.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver

joe lucca wrote: > Hello all, > My engine is making a ticking sound. I added a product made by Gunk that > quiets the valves, and it worked for a short time, but the noise is back. > Does this sound like it just needs a valve adjustment or something else? Is > it bad to keep driving it in this condition? Any guidance is warmly > appreciated. thanks > > Joe > 1986 vanagon gl > buffalo, ny > > > > > > _________________________________________________________________ > Choose an Internet access plan right for you -- try MSN! > http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/default.asp >