Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Oct 2002 11:13:48 -0800
From:         Chris Schaefer <vanagon@1REALITY.ORG>
Subject:      87 running rich after warmup... SOLVED

First off many thanks to the various list members who responded both publicly and privately you were collectively a MAJOR help. I'll submit a small writeup for the archives!

The oxygen sensor's "return" ground appears to proceed through the various rusty corroded components of the exhaust system to the engine heads and hence through the infamously hidden ground point 18 to the ECU. ( this was probably designed during Octoberfest! ) On my engine ( with AC ), GP18 is very very well hidden under the compressor mount and is essentially inaccessible without alot of needless component removal. ( grrr) Since I was able to measure about 50 ohms between the oxy sensor case and the head, my initial concern was for this connection. However, after connecting this with a wire ( which I'll leave in place for good measure), I found my problem still exists. GP18 is combined with the wires from the hall sensor before proceeding into the ECU wiring harness. I cut into this grouping just as it leaves the engine compartment and sliced an additional ground wire from there to the same wire I had previous run. And it works Yeah! A few minutes of blowing the soot out of the exhaust system and she's running clean.

Before I proceed down this pathway, I had also replaced temp sensor II and cleaned many contacts and grounds, all to no avail. ( or course not finding GP 18 hidden away like that was a major impediment )

Chris, proud of himself.