Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2002, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 30 Oct 2002 14:51:51 -0800
From:         Doktor Tim <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>
Subject:      Re: Need good 1.6TD or na head
Comments: To: PREaton47@AOL.COM

If I needed one, I would check these two sources in the NW US. You didn't say where you were.

Avverr's, Longview, WA

Campbell-Nelson, used parts dept., Lynwood, WA

See web search, archive search or yellow pages, I don't have the info here at home.

You might check also with Jerry at NW Connecting Rod in Seattle. Tell him what you got and he may have what you need in a core or rebuilt head. If those heads can be rebuilt, he would have the process down. Quality spec workmanship always from these guys on ANY VW engine, air/water cooled, gas or diesel. Their Wasserboxer long blocks are just superb. With proper maintenance these motors will last as long as the originals and longer.

Be aware of the 2 types of head bolts used on these blocks. My Bentley gives only specs and procedure for the torque to yield 12mm thread triple hex non-reusable type, but nothing on the 11mm thread 10mm hex. From Jerry, the spec for the standard 11mm hex bolts is 135/155/165ftpds in stages per order given, re torque after 1000 miles. If your block takes the 12mm stretch bolts, they can only be torqued and set once, then followed up after 1000 miles with another turn, so must be replaced with new per Bentley procedures given. Most important, because if you use the wrong procedure for the 11mm bolts you WILL pull the threads right up out of the block and if you foul up the yield points on the 12mm bolts you WILL leak and in both cases cattywampus the head.