Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Nov 2002 19:41:42 -0700
From:         Joanna Strohn <joanna@DREAMRUNNER.COM>
Subject:      Introduction

There I was, heading home from work and approaching a light. Car stopped ahead in the left turn lane duly noted. Everything all clear. Then the car started to turn. I hit the brakes but it was far too late to avoid hitting him. "I thought I had enough time to turn," the old guy said. My Nova was totaled but I was OK and very grateful my 2-year-old was not in the car with me.

The year was 1972. My husband and I went shopping for a new car. Instead of a car, , we came home with this ugly VW bus thing that we thought would be good for camping.

It was. During the summer we kept it stocked for camping and headed out every possible weekend. A recession hit and we both lost our jobs. Hm, all we had to do was send in the unemployment reports ... so we took $500 and headed out. East to Hamilton, Ontario, west through Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, San Francisco, Disneyland, Arizona. Six weeks on the road and memories still treasured today.

Coming out of Colorado I had the nighttime driving shift. Chugging along there was a sudden imprint of a deer in front of me and "splat". Highway patrol said it was a mule deer, likely being chased by a coyote. One headlight was out and the front smashed but we made it home and got it repaired.

The marriage ended and I got my son, the bus and not much else. It was the coldest winter ever and I had a long commute to work. The bus was, reluctantly, turned into a Chevette. The only good thing about that car was the fact it had a heater that worked; essential for that Chicago winter.

Fast forward not quite 30 years. Family obligations meant taking care of my elderly mother and driving her around in her Thunderbird. Not how I planned to spend almost 8 years of my life, but one plays the hand that is dealt.

Within the span of a few months, my son married, my mother died, and I found myself facing the delightful but scary question "what do I do with the rest of my life?"

One conclusion I've reached is that I want another bus. I don't need to go fast; I have motorcycles for that. I would like to camp and explore this wonderful state of Arizona. Why not get another bus?

So I'm beginning my search. I'm clueless about the state of VW campers today so the first thing I did was an Internet search. Found the website and this group. I need something with air conditioning so that eliminates the older buses. I think my top budget is about $10,000. Any suggestions on models, years, etc. I should consider will be most gratefully accepted.

-- Joanna, Bus-less in Arizona