Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Nov 2002 09:22:55 EST
From:         George Goff <THX0001@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: FW: Rectangle headlight conversion to common 200mm headlights

In a message dated 10/31/02 2:52:07 PM, kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET writes:

<< Then I took the Cibie lamp and siliconed it in place with this industrial silicon that we had. >>

Oh yes, let's all run out and glue our headlamps in place. People, this design problem was worked out about 70 years ago. The solution is called a headlamp bucket. If you can't fabricate one yourself, search the wrecking yards for one that can be modified to serve your needs.

Many moons ago, I was charged with implementing a pilot program to establish a baseline for vibrational analysis of the primary coolant loop at a nuclear power plant. The analysis was done during a stage of pre-fuel testing when the primary coolant pumps were run to create enough steam, merely from flow friction, to roll the turbine.

Because it is beaucoup verboten to weld to a nuclear piping system without big time hassles, to attach the vibration transducers we were provided with some of the most expensive, multi-pole, rare earth magnets ever devised by man. The magnets did their damnedest to hold the transducers in place, but it soon became apparent that they needed some help. The experts from GE Industrial Adhesive were summoned and the attachment of the magnets was bolstered by the best RTV they could provide. This scheme failed, also, which began a series of various surface conditioning and RTV glopping experiments.

The boys from the university finally gave up, used up their grant money is more like it, and went home saying that they had gleaned enough data from the transducers which had hung on. Sure.

My point? Screw, don't glue.

George