Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Nov 2002 11:49:47 -0500
From:         Chris S <mrvolkswagen@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Can overtightening the oil filter on an 88 cause coolant
              leaks?
Comments: To: Lee Kouns <LeeKouns@WEBTV.NET>

Lee, the fact that your 'mechanic' used an oil wrench to tighten the oil filter does not mean it's overtightened. If he/she went past the recommended max turns, usually referred on the oil filter box as 'past fingertight', then the filter would be too tight.

Sounds like deteriorated O-rings in the cooler. You may want to have your 'mechanic' replace the o-rings during next oil change.. or maybe sooner.

Chris. '85 Westy.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lee Kouns" <LeeKouns@WEBTV.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, November 03, 2002 11:04 AM Subject: Can overtightening the oil filter on an 88 cause coolant leaks?