Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Nov 2002 12:12:27 -0800
From:         Doktor Tim <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>
Subject:      Re: VW's Diesel vs. Gas
Comments: To: Bob O Shaughnessy <vanagon@COLUMBUS.RR.COM>

At 11:25 AM 11/03/2002, you wrote:

>On 11/3/02 12:13 PM, "Matthew Libby" <MLibby1@CFL.RR.COM> wrote: > Can anyone tell me anything about these two engines, > > reliability, longevity, maintainence, perfomance... > > I highly recommend the TDI. It has it's maintenance quirks, but nowhere >near those of the Vanagon.

One item of maintenance some have with the later (98+) VW diesels is crud buildup in the intake. In the type of use that creates this problem, some disassembly and cleaning is in order periodically. The later model gas engines have a high failure rate for the MassAirFlow sensors, but they only cost $50, not the $300+ of earlier systems.

> 90hp is for starters. With a few quick performance mods (chip, >injectors/nozzles, intake and exhaust) you can end up well over 150hp.

Gimme one of those with a 5 speed stick, in Bullfrog livery.