Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Nov 2002 12:57:23 -0800
From:         Doktor Tim <doktortim@ROCKISLAND.COM>
Subject:      Re: YAHOOOO (well, almost)
Comments: To: Laurence Smith <laurence@ALANASMITH.COM>

At 08:11 AM 11/03/2002, you wrote:

>Hard to beleive isn't it? One small ground wire can cause so much >frustration and expense.

The opening paragraphs of the FI section in Bentley clearly states verifying no vacuum leaks, no ignition problems, then verify grounds and terminals BEFORE attempting diagnosis of the FI system components. Then next comes verifying the fuel pump and pressure regulator. You can't skip that just cause you don't want to buy a gauge. Then and only then are you ready to start diagnosis of the Black Box and everything else hooked up to it. When you skip steps in the procedures you are not following procedure. Not following procedure is the way to waste the most money until you go back and confirm the skipped steps.

And guess what, before any of that, you must know compression balance. That's why the engine system comes before the FI section in Bentley. Did a first time inspection of engine on a Vanagon last week. They had had the "tune up" and it just wasn't running right. Within the last 2 years maintenance history showed, new plugs, then a month later new wires. Full history of 91 Vanagon shows no brake fluid renewals, no full coolant replacement ever, a not one compression test.

I pull the plugs and at 15k they have more than 0.2mm wear, but all are clean. Warm compression balance shows 150/123/136/149. Spec is 118 min not more than 44lbs variance. I am in spec but barely. Wire connectors at the plugs were all coated an even green with corrosive crusts. New plugs and new wires with dielectric grease for everything. Hook up to watch oxy flux at 0.1 to 0.9 volt. Because I have the compression test, I know this is corraboration of the range of the FI system adjustment being exceeded, confirmation of the proper system response and operation, and don't spend the next hour or two wondering what else might be wrong. Ergo, idle is starting to hunt a bit because the exhaust is being contaminated by poor combustion in one cylinder.

So, new plugs were put in with corroded terminals, then new wires were put on and contaminated the new terminals, and a year later they come to me. In the end, the cause was not poor spark, though that would have become a problem sometime sooner rather than later.

There is no need to be buying a bunch of FI parts with money that should be reserved for a rebuilt motor or the tools needed for the next proper step.