Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Nov 2002 13:52:40 -0800
From:         Tom Young <tomyoung1@ATTBI.COM>
Subject:      Re: 82 Air Cooled Questions
Comments: To: dragonbear@SBCGLOBAL.NET

From: "Brian Walker" <dragonbear@SBCGLOBAL.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, November 01, 2002 8:36 PM Subject: 82 Air Cooled Questions

>Hi, My name is Brian and I am new to VW's period. I just purchased >an 82 2Kcc air cooled. My first question is about the overheating light. >On my van there is a glow plug type device use to determine if the >engine is overheating or not. This is kinda disconcerting as it would be >very hard to tell if or when she is getting hot until it is too late. What I >want to know is if there is an actual temp. guage or something more >reliable I could install?

Brian:

I've never heard of an "overheating light" on an air-cooled Vanagon. It sounds to me like you're describing the TempII sensor which tells the ECU "the engine's cold, send more fuel." If you're talking about the single-wire, screw-in item just in front of #3 head, then that's the TempII sensor. If you want to monitor your engine's temperature, then you'll have to install a gauge and sender.

>I have noticed several of you speaking about the fans kicking in when >the temp. sensor gets near the led. This would obviously be a wasserbox >since there is a fan coming on that late in the heat cycle. Do these same >temp guages work on the air cooled engines?

There's really no auxillery fans that can be installed on an air-cooled engine that help in cooling the engine.

>Also I am having an issue with the dash lighting. It is really funny. >Accoriding to my manual all the fuses and relays are working based >on the devices that are working. The devices that are not working is >the speedometer light, clock/fuel guage light and the stereo. All the >other dash components are working fine?

The bulbs for the speedo and clock/fuel gauge do burn out on occasion, but more likely just the passage of time and corrosion will shut these down. Try removing the bulbs and then re-installing and you might find everything's OK. The stereo could easily have a seperate in-line fuse that's not part of the original equipment.

>Also there is an issue with the air flow meter hanging on occasion. >My mechanic told me to break it down and clean really well with >fine grit sandpaper. However, if this doens't work I am curios wheter >to go with a new OEM or a Refurbished OEM part?

Not sure what you mean here. If the flap or air-vane has been damaged because of backfire, then I'm not sure it's fixable. The air flow meter can be taken apart and the air-vane cleaned and lubed, though I don't think I'd use sandpaper here.

>One last thing. Does anyone know where to get the parts to rework the >sliding doors locking/opening mechanisms. The key will turn and unlock >the door and the handle works fine on the outside. however, you can not >open the door from the inside and there is no way of even unlocking the >door on the inside.

There's a small knob that controls the interior locking/unlocking of the door. If that knob is missing (it's a screw-in) then you couldn't lock or unlock the door from the inside. Is the knob missing? The "throw" of the inside door handle can be adjusted by removing the door panel and adjusting the Bowden cable.