Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Nov 2002 23:43:18 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Florida Keys
Comments: To: Tracey <boatshop@INTERCOM.NET>

Tracey, I used to live in Marathon on Key Marathon. It wa fun while I was there, but I was glad to leave. But strangely when I left I traded one island of another. I went from Marathon Key to Wrangell Island in the pan handle of Alaska. I liked that Alaska island far better, and stayed in Alaska for 30 years.

What I remember of the keys are the mosquitoes and the no-see-ums. At certain times they would eat you alive, especially if you were out in the dingweeds. The no-see-ums were the worst. You could repel the mosquitoes by using Off and other deet based products or you could burn keracal inside your tent or mosquito netting, but those blasted no-see-ums seemed able to come right through the netting unless you got the special stuff with the extra small holes. So go prepared.

We have those critters in Alaska as well, and most people are prepared, but you don't expect them in that part of Florida. In Alaska, in addition to the mosquito and the no-see-ums there is also a nasty little critter called a white-sox. He is very tiny but just slightly bigger than a no-see-um. The lower extremity of the last pair of legs on his thorax is banded with a white band, thus his name. When he bites he takes out a chunk --- for him no doubt the equivalent of a bit New York Sirloin. You never know he has bitten you until you begin to itch sometime later, reach down to scratch and put you fingers through a puddle of blood. Has an anesthetic in his saliva, and you knever know he's there. After he is gone and the anesthesia wears off the itching begins. Nasty little bugger.

But won't encounter them in the Keys, just thos airborne electric drills, the no-see-ums.

Enjoy your journey.

John Rodgers 88 GL driver.

Tracey wrote: > It's that time of year when I begin making plans for my winter escape to the keys...this year I will be taking my newly aquired 85 Westy and plan to camp in her for a few weeks. Since I got so many great suggestions from fellow listees on Maine camping spots (that trip didn't happen unfortunately) I thought I'd see if anyone had a special spot in the middle to lower keys the would like to reccommend. I am a seasoned visitor to the area, but have never camped in a campground or with a Westy there...so any tips (including any repair shops) would be appreciated. > > Pmail me at boatshop@intercom.net > > Tracey >