Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Nov 2002 22:44:31 +1300
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: [subaruvanagon] Use of a non-VW powersteering Rack with Subi
              conversion

>Hi group. I've been lurking `round here for a while, thinking of how >nice my '80 Westy could be with Subi reliability. For daily use >adding power steering would be great help. Thus I wonder if any in >the group has investigated swapping in a non- VW power rack, using >the Subi pump? > >I understand the Vanagon manual and power racks have the same ratio, >requiring new arms to get faster steering. A faster ratio substitute >rack would eliminate this change over expense. I'ld also expect a >higher production volume rebuilt rack to be easier and cheaper to >obtain. So I thought before I go searching the rack spec catalogs, >perhaps someone has already looked into this and might share their >findings.

Someone in Japan put a Suzuki WagonR electric PS setup into his T3.

Any rack with the correct travel would do, so long as it can be fitted and the steering column can be adapted. Should be relatively simple. Myself, I'm just going to fit a new T3 PS rack to my nonPS T3. I can live with a bit more wheel-twirling. -- Andrew Grebneff 165 Evans St, Dunedin 9001, New Zealand <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut