Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Nov 2002 11:24:45 -0500
From:         "G.M.Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Off topic: Proud (long semi-rant)

T--

One of the nifty things that has changed in the last 60 years (since Jews were forced into servitude) is that Romanians and others can *choose* to be part of the global economy based solely on the excellence of their work, and the cost that will be incurred in producing that service or product. No one is forcing GE to considering moving and GE isn't putting a gun to anyone's head to work for them.

Further, as the a truly 'global' economy takes shape, shoddy work is quickly rewarded with loss of a contract; just as unjustified high prices drive products off the shelf, and their producers out of business. If Romania makes crappy airplane motors, GE will contract with South Africa, or India, or Botswana, or whoever demonstrates the ability to make their motors efficiently and dependably. Can you blame them?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending or condoning this, it is just a reality I work with on a daily basis.

The problem comes when USA workers want it "both ways"... they want to buy their cheap crap at Wal*GD*Mart, and giggle at the little yellow smiley "working overtime to slash prices", but they also want to keep meaningful employment in the USA. You can't have a nation of $25-an-hour union workers, who in turn insist that their Sam's Card entitles them to $9.00 blow dryers and $19.00 power drills. At least not for long.

Bringing your ideas to life, G. Matthew Bulley Bulley-Hewlett www.bulley-hewlett.com AIM: IExplain4u +1.919.658.1278 11111111111111111111.

-----Original Message----- From: Thomas Keefer [mailto:tkeefer@san.rr.com] Sent: Monday, November 04, 2002 10:10 AM To: G.M.Bulley; vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: Off topic: Proud (long semi-rant)

About the aircraft engines..obviously you are not a pilot.. The average skilled american has some degree of patriotism which I would say is especially present among blue collar wokers.. Now, about that Romanian that is going to build the engine for 25.00 a day... yeah... well who knows what he is loyal to (besides the dollar). When the imprisoned Jews wre forced to make things to support the nazi war effort the labor was pretty cheap but things didnt exactly come out the way they had envisioned.... Since I have a ton of friends who are pilots and have seen the results of shoddy or misguided maintainence.. I would have to disagree.. But hey.. this is America so we can do that!!! HAve a nice day ----- Original Message ----- From: "G.M.Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, November 04, 2002 5:56 AM Subject: Off topic: Proud (long semi-rant)