Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Nov 2002 07:32:57 -0500
From:         Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Who Sells the Coolant Pipe Repair Kit?
Comments: To: THX0001@AOL.COM

George, I have had this problem on my '91 Carat (plastic lines go bad at the ends!) and my '85 Westy (metal lines rust out!) and I solved it the same way both times. I went with the stock VW pipes. My question to you is: How expensive is a new motor? Even if you bought a good used motor you are talking at least $400 plus the labor to put it in ($1000-1500). To me it is worth the peace of mind to put back what VW put there in the first place. It will make the installation process much faster. And when you get done you should have something that will last another 18 years (realize that the this was the lifespan of the original pipes). This guys van is a beater, yes, but it is not yet a lawn ornament. To keep it from becoming that I would go with stock.

Having said that you can go stock in a cheap way if you can find a 84- 85 Vanagon in a junkyard with good pipes. You can pick them up pretty cheap that way. That is what I did with my '85, I had a parts van from the west coast and the metal pipes were still wondering, 'What does "rust" mean?' Just my opinion.

The other thing you have to think about is the thermal efficency of the stainless pipes. Did you ever stop to think that the long pipes under the van are actually part of the cooling system and radiate much of the engine's heat before it even gets to the radiator? What is the btu rating of these pipes? The thermal efficency? What about the material? Perhaps it is a alloy of stainless that would react to the special alloy in our waterboxer blocks. I think a 20 year study must be completed before you even attempt to go with this other material. Please begin at once and send us quarterly updates on your progress.

Got ya!

PS I was serious until that last paragraph :)

Thanks, Ken Wilford John 3:16 http://www.vanagain.com Phone: 856-327-4936 Fax: 856-327-2242

----- Original Message ----- From: George Goff <THX0001@AOL.COM> Date: Monday, November 4, 2002 11:09 pm Subject: Who Sells the Coolant Pipe Repair Kit?