Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2002, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Nov 2002 12:25:07 -0500
From:         Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: replacing the waterpump, opportunity to replace
Comments: To: Gary Hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>

Yeap Gary, Your right again! minimum tension of the belt is crucial! It should splip a bit when wet!

I just did a 91 water pump last week (my 7th) and i said to the guy, your big metal bypass tube is very rusty and the thermostat housing is leaky at the head junction (o-Ring), he reply. They are quite expensive! I reply, well yes, but bleeding the van each month is expensive too! The bypass tube is 110$ CAD and the o-ring is 1$, temp senders are about 10$ each!

I think people like to do the bleeding job just for fun.

I don't understand why people want to do the minimum ($$$) when doing major job like the water pump. Many other stuff should be done also.

-As many cooling hose and tube as possible -Cooling parts like thermostat, temp sender... -Alternator. It cost less than 60$ USD to have a rebuilt those days. -Why not change as many seal and o-ring as possible.

Well, i guess that when i travel i do go very far so i need some kind of peace of mind = Preventive maintenance!

You can always go farther and reach a garage when you have a wheel bearing failling, a push rod leak, a noisy axle shaft, a trany problem or even a small head gasket leak. but you won't go far with a split cooling hose or tube.Cooling parts are subject to break without any real notice.

Unless you are in vacation stuck somewhere and need to change a part so you can go on, you should get the money that is needed to change all major part (in one area of the engine. Ex.: cooling system, exhaust system, heads) if you decide to do some preventive work, get the money that is needed to change all major part while you are there

This is my opinion. well, i guess i am too meticulous!!!

Cheers, Ben (preparing a trip from Montreal to Mexico for next February in a 73 AC Westy, anyone willing to accomodate me along the way for a night!!! i will bring strong Canadian beers!!!) http://www3.sympatico.ca/huotx/engine1.htm